You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bullet points: change of the color

Dear all, how can I change the color of bullet points? I already looked in the Paragraph panel using the style options  from the bullet and numbering section. I found how to change the color of the whole listing text and know how to set a character style but not how to change the color of the bullets. Is this already possible or is there an update of Affinity Publisher?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forums.
You can change the colour of the bullet points by creating a new Character Style that uses the required colour and then applying that style in the “Bullets and Numbering section” of the Paragraph Panel. (See attached images.)

Annotation 2020-07-15 123155.png

Annotation 2020-07-15 123345.png

Dear Garry, thank you very much for your answer. I did exactly like that but then my whole text got this "new colour", not only the bullet points...I tried again and now it worked;-) I think the mistake was that I marked the whole text, so it changed the colour of the whole text…
Thanks again!

You’re welcome.
If you apply the style to the paragraph then all of the text in that paragraph will be formatted, but if you apply the style only to the Bullets and Numbering then only the bullets (and numbering) should be affected.
Anyway, glad you’re sorted.

Here’s a short video showing all of the steps. (You don’t need to change the font size if you don’t want to; I only included it to show that it wasn’t just the colour you could change.)
This may not be the only way to do this but it’s the method I use because it makes sense to me.

Edit: I’ve attached a second video where I change the existing “Bullet 1” paragraph style. Note how this also changes the “Bullet 2” and “Bullet 3” styles as they are ‘children’ of the “Bullet 1” style. (Using a Paragraph Style for your bullet lists is a better technique for documents where you have many bulleted lists.)

Edited by GarryP
Added extra video.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Did you go through all of the steps in one of the above videos?
If so, we will need to know which video you were following and at which point your changes did not match what was in the video.
A sample document would also be useful if you can share one in public.

10 hours ago, Lymus said:

How would this work if I wanted to change the bullet type and colour? I have tried but it seems to apply the new colour to all the text too.

Bullet point shapes [e.g., a triangle shape selected in the image below] are saved in the Text control of the Bullets and Numbering section of the Paragraph panel. The color, however, seems to be saved in the first character of the bullet paragraph (the triangle shape selected in the image below), which can be zero-width space, as below. The size of the mere bullet can be changed, as well, but the setting does not always "take".

custombullets.jpg.f246cf886c7c91c32f6b77ba701581b6.jpg

All in all, custom bullets work a bit vaguely so it might be better to just create different styles for each different bullet formatting needed and apply them, as wished.

23 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Bullet point shapes are saved in the Text control of the Bullets and Numbering section of the Paragraph panel. The color, however, seems to be saved in the first character of the bullet paragraph (the triangle shape selected in the image below), which can be zero-width space, as below. The size of the mere buttet can be changed, as well, but the setting does not always "take".

If you use Text Styles, you would create a Character Text Style to define the color of the bullet. You would then create a Paragraph Text Style to define the characteristics of the text (font, etc.) and in the Bullets and Numbering part of the definition you would define the list style (Bullet), pick the bullet character(s) you want to use (Text), and then specify the Character Text Style name (Style) that specifies the color to use (or other traits such as bold/italic, etc.) for the bullet character(s).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you use Text Styles

Sure, but I suppose that was covered already by @GarryP above. I just wanted to mention that the color, size and shape of the bullet can also be changed without creating a style. Especially if color alone is wanted to be changed, it might be handly to just enter a zero-width or any other fixed-width space and apply color attribute to that (and then copy paste to other bullet points, if necessary).