You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Plugins or other ways to extend functionality?

Hi!

I'm a developer and I was wondering if it's possible to extend Photo's functionality in some way, like adding a "Crop to selection" menu item, or a color palette context menu when you right click with with the brush tool selected?

Also, another thing, when you right click a pixel layer there's a menu item called 'Rasterize'. Isn't this supposed to be grayed out if it's already a pixel layer? Or am I missing something? (I'm very new to the program.)

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forums @TomI,

It is just redundant, but useful in that we can change the size of that pixel layer or deform it and rasterizing 'resets' the pixels. I will occasionally do it if I have place a hi density image and then once I like the size and location I will rasterize it so as to cut down on the file size. (sadly not by as much as I hope [sad face emoticon]) 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

sadly not by as much as I hope

If by chance you are saving with history intact bear in mind that it may be retaining the larger set of information to allow for undo.  Otherwise you might try doing a "Save As" after closing and reopening the document to see if the file gets compacted a bit more.

11 hours ago, tomii said:

I was wondering if it's possible to extend Photo's functionality in some way

Currently there is no plugin/macro support in the Affinity products.  This has been discussed previously in other threads and is something that may come in the future, but is not here yet.

49 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Currently there is no plugin/macro support in the Affinity products.

There is fairly good plugin and macro support in Affinity Photo, but not in Designer or Publisher.

Many (but not all) Photoshop plugins that are .8bf files are compatible. These are those that act as filters on a single pixel image.

Photo's macro support is good but limited to actions that you can do with menu items and their associated dialogue boxes. It cannot deal with opening or closing files, or with multiple files. However the combination of a Batch Job plus macros acting on each opened file is very powerful.

@MEB has a list of Photoshop Plugins that are known to be compatible with Affinity Photo. It may be out-of-date though as new plugins appear.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

[sad face emoticon]

: followed by ( → :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

24 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Many (but not all) Photoshop plugins that are .8bf files are compatible. These are those that act as filters on a single pixel image.

Only filter (‘effects’) plugins are compatible. Other types such as acquisition, automation and file format plugins cannot be used in Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)