You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm having difficulty copying a selection to a new layer. It's a kind of routine thing for making comps... I'm more used to PS and Affinity may work differently so can someone walk me through this please?

Sorry if this is a simple question, but a forum search for "copy selection to new layer" did not offer any results and I couldn't see it under 'Help'.

• Staff

Hi Greiggy and Welcome to the forums 

To copy a selection to a new layer, it should just be the case of making the selection and then CMD+C to copy the selection and then CMD+V to paste.  The selection should get pasted onto its own new layer.

I've attached a small screen recording to this reply which shows copying a selection from one picture and pasting it into another.

If you are still having trouble, let me know the steps you are taking and i'll be happy to offer further advice.

copy selection.mov

• Staff

Just a quick update on this.  If this still isn't working, i suspect you will have opened an image and then used File>Place to put another image on top of the 1st one.  If you have done this, you will need to rasterise the image you placed on top.  Just right click on the Layer with this image and select Rasterise.  You will now be able to make a selection and copy the selection you've made.

Hi Greiggy and Welcome to the forums 

To copy a selection to a new layer, it should just be the case of making the selection and then CMD+C to copy the selection and then CMD+V to paste.  The selection should get pasted onto its own new layer.

I've attached a small screen recording to this reply which shows copying a selection from one picture and pasting it into another.

If you are still having trouble, let me know the steps you are taking and i'll be happy to offer further advice.

"It should just be the case of making the selection and then CMD+C to copy the selection and then CMD+V to paste." 

Yes, it should. It seems (from quite a lot of experimenting) that in practice it is hit and miss. Opened Affinity afresh, opened the doc afresh and tried to copy and paste. Error sound. Didn't work.

Opened second image and placed first one with it on a wide canvas. Rasterised placed image as you advised. At this point I was able to to copy and paste to a new layer. Selecting/moving presented its own challenges but I got there.

Not intuitive!

May I respectfully suggest:

• Developer sandpaper -- there are rough edges here.

• Include the missing Layers menu command: Copy to new layer

• Clear searchable instructions in Help doc

• Staff

Yes, it should. It seems (from quite a lot of experimenting) that in practice it is hit and miss. Opened Affinity afresh, opened the doc afresh and tried to copy and paste. Error sound. Didn't work.

Opened second image and placed first one with it on a wide canvas. Rasterised placed image as you advised. At this point I was able to to copy and paste to a new layer. Selecting/moving presented its own challenges but I got there.

Not intuitive!

May I respectfully suggest:

• Developer sandpaper -- there are rough edges here.

• Include the missing Layers menu command: Copy to new layer

• Clear searchable instructions in Help doc

Sorry to say i'm having trouble getting this not to work.  The steps i'm taking are as follows:

Open Affinity Photo

Open an image

Visit a web page to copy another image

Switch back to Affinity and then CMD+V and i get the image on a new layer

Also if i open an image in Affinity and then open a 2nd one and just CMD+C on the 2nd image and then CMD+V on the 1st it pastes straight away onto a new layer.

Which version of Affinity are using, the latest beta or the one from the Mac Store?  Also which version of OS X are you running?

As for the Developer sandpaper, once you've made the selection, you have a Refine option on the toolbar along the top which allows you to refine the edges of the selection.

• Staff

I have a quick question..  after you have pasted your selection to the new image how do you blend the two so it doesn't look so choppy?  

Hi wlayten,

Once you've made the selection on the image you want to copy from, along the top toolbar you have a button that says Refine, this will allow you to apply a feather to the edge of the selection which will soften it.  You could also use the Blur Brush tool to blur the edges once it's pasted.

I'd suggest giving some of the tutorials a go, over on:https://vimeo.com/macaffinity

The one on making selections has some great tips and by watching the others, you'll soon pick up other tricks :)

• 1 year later...

I have followed the instructions and watched the video and I can't get it right. When I past the copied selection into a second picture the copied image does not arrive in a nice neat box with resizing and moving handles as it does in to video but as a full layer expanded to cover a third of the area of the second picture. Rasterising the layer has no effect.

I have followed the instructions and watched the video and I can't get it right. When I past the copied selection into a second picture the copied image does not arrive in a nice neat box with resizing and moving handles as it does in to video but as a full layer expanded to cover a third of the area of the second picture. Rasterising the layer has no effect.

If it only covers a third of the area of the second picture, in what sense is it "a full layer"? A pasted item is always on its own layer, if that's what you mean. It sounds as though your source and destination pictures are different resolutions (e.g. one 96dpi and the other 300dpi).

Which instructions have you followed? What video have you watched?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

h

If it only covers a third of the area of the second picture, in what sense is it "a full layer"? A pasted item is always on its own layer, if that's what you mean. It sounds as though your source and destination pictures are different resolutions (e.g. one 96dpi and the other 300dpi).

I have followed the instructions and video as detailed above in Stokerg's post.

By full layer I mean it is not a in a distinct box with resizing handles as in the video above.

I take your point about the different resolutions and will have a go tomorrow making sure all things are equal.

h

I have followed the instructions and video as detailed above in Stokerg's post.

By full layer I mean it is not a in a distinct box with resizing handles as in the video above.

I take your point about the different resolutions and will have a go tomorrow making sure all things are equal.

Before (or after) the paste is the Move Tool selected?

Thank you, I new it would be something simple I was or wasn't doing. So simple you are the only one to mention the move tool.

And thank you. I have used two pictures oh the same size and resolution and got it to work.

And thanks to all who chipped in with advice.

Regards Dave

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2017 at 7:38 PM, JimmyJack said:

Hi Jimmy, may I ask where is the Move Tool? I have the same problem that even with the same resolution for both source and destination pictures, after pasted as a pixel layer, it's like a still picture that can't be move or resized. Thanks.

5 hours ago, charty said:

may I ask where is the Move Tool?

It's this one in the Tools panel: image.png.79c8590d379dcab0056d97396fedc038.png (keyboard shortcut, by default, is V)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It's this one in the Tools panel: image.png.79c8590d379dcab0056d97396fedc038.png (keyboard shortcut, by default, is V)

Thank you Walt. I didn't select it before copy/pasting, so it ended up sticked to the up-left corner and couldn't be move/resized. :$ It's all fine now.

2 hours ago, charty said:

Thank you Walt. I didn't select it before copy/pasting, so it ended up sticked to the up-left corner and couldn't be move/resized. :$ It's all fine now.

You're welcome. You should be able to select it even after pasting, and I don't think the results should matter if it's selected before pasting or after.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1