You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is the Frame Text panel not available? [A.D. 1.8.3 Mac Os 10.13.4]

I'm trying to access the Frame Text panel in Designer. According to the tutorials, it should be in the context toolbar at the right-hand side when the Frame Text tool is selected, next to the button for the Typography panel. On my copy it's not there.

Am I missing something? Is there another way to open the panel?

Any help would be most welcome!

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 14.09.04.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 9:16 AM, MEB said:

Hi DavidH17,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The Text Frame panel is only available in Affinity Publisher (menu View > Studio > Text Frame if not displayed already), not Designer.

Hi,

While looking for a workaround to styled/polygon text frames in Designer, I noticed text frame objects can seemingly be copy-pasted from Publisher into Designer, with the object appearance preserved (but not editable that I can tell) and with text editing properties preserved in Designer. This is possibly a limited workaround for Designer users seeking fancy text frames, so long as they have Publisher (and can deal with not editing the frames). One one hand, it's hardly a workaround, but on the other hand, it can save many extra layers when working with lots of these.  

What I can't tell is: What kind of object is this newly pasted object in Designer? What interpretation has occurred? 

I ask in this way because the object appearance is preserved (for example, text in a red circle created as a Text Frame in Publisher -- it is still editable text inside a red circle when pasted into Designer), but I see no way to edit the fill, stroke, etc. of the pseudo-frame and, when applied, all such attributes affect the interior text. The object pasted into Designer does appear and behave like a text frame – I just see no way to edit it. (It is a single layer in Designer, as one would expect of a text frame.) 

It would be funny if it is indeed preserved as a text frame just like Publisher, but it can't be edited because access to it does not yet exist via a panel. 

Curious about this object and behavior.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Incoming Fax said:

would be funny if it is indeed preserved as a text frame just like Publisher, but it can't be edited because access to it does not yet exist via a panel. 

Yes, that's what happens. You can, of course, simply work on your design in Publisher, using the Designer Persona. You'd only need to switch to the full Designer application if you need the Pixel Persons or the Export Persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, Incoming Fax said:

but it can't be edited because access to it does not yet exist via a panel. 

No, you can't edit it in Designer

But you can remove it (text frame formatting) by using the Revert Defaults button on the Toolbar 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi Incoming Fax,
It is still pasted as a text frame however some (frame) attributes are not editable in Affinity Designer as there's no controls to change them. This is because each Affinity app has its own purpose/is focused on specific major areas (Photo for RAW conversion/image editing, Designer for graphic/web/UI design and illustration and Publisher for desktop publishing) allowing us to provide them at a lower price than if they were all bundled as a single (more bloated) app, catering for specific user's needs (no need to get photo editing tools if you are not interested in them) and allowing us more room to expand these areas with more advanced specialized tools rather than adding/supporting/duplicating all of them on all apps.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Ryne said:

HI, 

Text frame panel is not available in Publisher. How can I get it?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

In the Publisher Persona in Publisher: View > Studio > Text Frame. If that doesn't get it, make sure you have View > Studio > Show Left Studio enabled.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 year later...

In my first hour with Designer, I have already run into this text-frame-panel limitation, which seems inconsistent and unfortunate to say the least.
I do not want to buy another product (publisher) simple to set the background color of text!?!?!
Since this thread is several years old, I gather this basic feature will never be in Designer?

14 minutes ago, JEK256 said:

I do not want to buy another product (publisher) simple to set the background color of text!?!?!

You can create a second shape, color it, put it behind the text frame, and group them. 

It probably will never be in Designer, but only Serif would know, and they probably won't say.

-- Walt
PC: