You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Tiff Save layers

Hello, this one has caught out more than once :(
If this cannot to set (??) ; it really needs to be "save affinity layers'' as the default, or have the option to set and forget  .
Please! Big please! Please with a kiss  --- that might not be a good idea atm; or anytime  🤣

Working from On1 2020

AP export.jpg

"Save Affinity layers" would be a bad default, I believe, for most users. Most of us would use .afphoto files when saving proprietary Affinity data, not TIFF format.

Having a way for a user to make it their personal default seems like it could provide a good function, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It makes them much bigger, for one thing, and the layers are not useful to any application except Affinity because they contain data in the Affinity-proprietary format that no one else can understand. If I'm saving a TIFF it's because I want the image, flattened, for use in another program. That other program can't use the data.

Additionally (though I cannot provide details as I've forgotten them), I've found that the layered TIFF that Affinity can create doesn't save quite all of the Affinity data, so it's not completely useful as a replacement for .afphoto files for archival purposes.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks for replies --- optional would be a great fix Walt
LOL ; since when has TIF been 'bad' ? !  :)

The reasons I use Tiff is the image can be viewed in Win10 folders; and Ap tiff are also smaller than PSD for some reason (??) . Tiff works in On1 and Nik; not that I use it much these days . Make life easier .
Just for interest -- I always like to keep layers when working (playing really) and I usually play from an "editing" folder. When I'm happy with the edit, the tiff layers are saved (just incase) , plus a jpg file is saved (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+S) Both files are dragged to their home folder. Eventually ; just the original raw and edited jpg [ whoops -- sorry to use a really bad word :) ] will remain .  After sharing online, I don't have too much use for the photo or most photos when it comes to that . All just for something to do .

Affinity Photo plus On1 2020 is a pretty happy marriage so far while old Lr5 has a rest 
Cheers

Consider as an alternative setting up an automatic live export in the Export persona and keeping a separate PNG or JPG (or TIFF if really necessary - PNG is much smaller and still recognized by most everything; JPG is lossy but if that is your final output format anyway then you already have it when you are done?) next to your .afphoto file?

That way you have a separate preview file which gets updated automatically as you work, you retain all of the settings by using the native format, and I have generally found that the native format loads and saves much faster than using PSD (or likely TIFF) as trying to work with those formats directly will generally be treated as an import/export behind the scenes every time you try to load or save, meaning that the software is converting the file back and forth every time you try to use it anyway.

• 2 years later...

I have a Desktop Mac and Macbook Pro. I use Affinity Photo on my Macbook Pro because I don't have Photoshop there. I use Photoshop on my Desktop Mac because my OS is too old to use Affinity Photo. I want to be able to work on a file on my Macbook Pro using Affinity P, then bring it into my Desktop Mac and open it in Photoshop with all the layers intact!

Even using the Export function to export my file as a tiff from Affinity (with Affinity layers ticked) I end up with a "flattened" file when I open in Photoshop on my Desktop. Which is of no use to me as I want to keep working on the file in Photoshop on my Desktop.

Does anyone know of a way to preserve layers moving back and forth between these two programs?

Use PSD.

But be aware that any Text objects will be Rasterized when Exporting from Affinity.

-- Walt
PC:

Since asking the question I have changed my editing work flow because I couldn't be bothered getting Lr5 and and AF2 to talk to each other .
In all honesty , the new work flow is likely for the better once I became used to it and forgot the simpler old way of >> Lightroom >AP >lightroom

This is likely of interest only to those using the older versions up to Lightroom 6
Lightroom as DAM system --- sadly still the better for me since 2012 --- eeekk that is 11 years ago!!
RAW file edited in LR5 --- often that's all I do
Exported as an edited Jpg to "editing" folder
Open the JPG and edit in AP2
Save as AFphoto file (File >save as)
Save edited file as jpg (Shift+Alt+Ctrl) to "editing" 
Import the jpg into "editing" in LR5 >move file to it's home folder
[ I find using only the "editing" folder simpler the same as when importing new files into "_import" in Lr5  is simpler/easier ]

The better part: I know have an edited AFphoto file in windows but not in Lr5 so if (when 😬) I make a BIG mess of Lightroom I will always have the AFphoto file in Win10 . Far safer than having the tiff files in Lightroom also .

Off Topic: I now use a program called "everything" when searching for files in Win10 --- far better than the Win10 search ;)