aleclerc

AVIF file format support would be nice web browsers start to support it.

Hello,

Support for the AVIF file format would be nice to see as web browsers will start supporting it. It would be nice to read and write images in that format.

Best regards!

PLUS ONE for this, web browsers will support this from September and I would love to convert all online images to this as it stands an AVIF image of the same quality is 10 times smaller than a  jpg and that would super speed up any webpages which  will effect google seo rankings.

Seeing as how Apple hasn't supported WebP in their web browsers for 10 years, and no major graphics application supports WebP either, I wouldn't hold your breath for AVIF support. Especially since the accepted way to convert image files to these formats is to use build tools and <picture> element fallbacks.

I just use a script that converts all my PNG files to WebP and AVIF, and use partials/components in my code to handle the fallback HTML code.

It would be nice to not have to rely on the script to create WebP and AVIF files, but I would still have to rely on scripts because I run some image optimizers that remove metadata and optimize the compression to make PNG and JPEGs much smaller. So, practically I don't think adding AVIF support would really improve the quality of life for people who make images for the web.

What would be nice is to include the same functionality that jpegoptim and OptiPNG have within the export options. It would dramatically reduce the file sizes for images (good selling point against Adobe's file export) and with those optimizations bundled with WebP and AVIF support I would not need those scripts at all. That would be a huge benefit for people creating WordPress websites that don't optimize their files before uploading them.

Graphic design, software development, and education for underestimated creatives. Squirrel Logic

+1 for this but its bit too early. 0.8.1 works kind of good but recent (daily) builds were wonky for me (quality/filesize ratio was worst and color tone shifted too) i would wait a bit for more ironed out releases. Also JpegXL comming next year too.

GIMP added AVIF support just now but its only partial implementation, there is no way to disable chroma subsampling.

For everyone interested i recommending to download AVIF CLI tools.

https://github.com/AOMediaCodec/libavif/releases/tag/v0.8.1

Comparison :

https://cloudinary.com/blog/how_jpeg_xl_compares_to_other_image_codecs

On my website (signature) i have added .avif for projects thumbnails already -> better and more consistent results than WebP

Core i7 4770 - AMD R9 290x (Driver 19.8.1) - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 ultimate SP1 (monthly rollup) - https://danielmoravek.com

I've been using the go-avif CLI tool for encoding, and it's been working pretty well. I haven't switched over to the bleeding edge AVIF CLI tools yet.

Because people were talking about it so much, I shared the PowerShell source code I use to create WebP and AVIF files. As I mentioned above, because graphics for the web benefit from image optimizers that remove necessary data and can brute-force different compression techniques to find the smallest file, I think CLI scripts are the best solution for now until optimization is also included in the exporting options.

And yes, I also can't wait for JPEG XL. It's a very elegant solution.

Graphic design, software development, and education for underestimated creatives. Squirrel Logic