You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been trying to export as layered Photoshop file to bring into FCP X. However, seems to come out as flattened only. I saw a previously topic and I'm thinking that is the case.

Can someone confirm? If so, I guess the only way to do it is to make a "slice" of each layer then export all. Am I correct in that assumption?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Epdfilm,

Welcome to the forums :)

The app should export majority of the objects without needing to flatten them. Would you be able to attach your file so I may investigate this further?

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I think he means that he wants to export with layers, but is getting a single, flattened image...

I have no problem exporting layered PhotoShop files, so my take on it is that there is probably a conflicting layer effect – something that PhotoShop doesn't have or does differently.

If you make just one layer visible, select it, right click on it and choose "Merge visible", it will make a flattened copy of that layer with all effect applied. Do this for each of the layers you want to use, delete the original layers and save a copy. That copy will have your layers but no custom effects. That should be "simple" enough for FCP to work with.

(I'm not quite clear if you're saying your exported PSD file is actually flat if viewed in PhotoShop, or if it's FCP that is importing it as flattened artwork – a lot of options to address the problem)

• Staff

The problem will be that FCP X does not recognise the compression method we used for 8-bit files.  This has been fixed for a future release.

If you open the PSD in Photoshop and resave it, FCP should be able to open it.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB