You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

***Affinity feature requests***

* Having a Hex color Input box on "HSL color wheel" dialog box.

* Global Gradient Swatches. Are they this hard to implement in affinity software...it's been 3 years almost and the top design app for mac still doesn't support global gradient swatches, why is that?

* Dynamic Styles. Yes, a workaround for this is using a symbol but having a dynamic style instead of using a Symbol can be used in many areas, means, i can implement a dynamic style with shadows and glow to a circle, a rectangle, a polygon...while having ability to manipulate and watch effects like shadows taking change on multiple objects in real time. You get the idea, right? Specially for Ui/Ux designers.

* Symbol lock (Sometimes we end up making changes to symbols only to zoom out and realizing those changes impact symbols on the entire page. Hence a special symbol locking mechanism would be very welcomed
where we can lock symbols so that they can be moved and resized but cannot be modified or implement changes to their appearances)

* PDF, Word documents (and i suspect some other document types) could not be set as linked like various image formats. They remain embedded and could not be linked which clutter the affinity document thus increasing file size.

* It's impossible to separate/group swatches within a swatch category, please do something about it :/

* Shape builder tool (We all know it how much us designers are craving for this handy dandy boolean operation tool. come on team serif :)

* We can create separate grids for separate artboards, but we cannot set different grid line color for each cardboard. Suppose if i change grid line color or opacity to "green" on one artboard, all other artboards also
have same grid line color and opacity. This gets troublesome when we have multiple artboards with different grids and you have to jump in between.

* Shape Blend tool (least priority but essential tool)

* Mirroring tool (I get the idea to use symbols as workaround for mirroring but wont a separate tool make tasks a lot easier for logo/graphic designer?)

* Functionality to add more Api within Affinity software to grab assets from websites, just like unsplash is the only one currently supported. (https://developer.flaticon.com/landing)

* When exporting an artboard, the default filename should be the name of the artboard. For bonus points, a way to export multiple artboards (from the same document, with the same settings) at once would also be very helpful.

* Export Persona (or something that make exporting easy) for Publisher as well.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this thread. Also, if you found my post/thread/content contributing and containing genuine new feature requests do mention and share your views. it'll make my day 😃 

27 minutes ago, komakolud said:

Having a Hex color Input box on HSL Color wheel dialog box.

How could you enter Hue (0-359), Saturation (0-100%) and Luminance (0-100%) as a hexadecimal value? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 7/13/2020 at 9:01 PM, Alfred said:

How could you enter Hue (0-359), Saturation (0-100%) and Luminance (0-100%) as a hexadecimal value? :/

i would rather agree, but since the methods exist and already being implemented in affinity, i think translation is quite possible.
Apparently for every RGB hex there do exist a HSL value and vice versa. These are just methods to find color under a single color space that your document is based upon.
https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/color/hsl-to-rgb.html

9 minutes ago, komakolud said:

i think translation is quite possible

We’re not talking about translation, we’re talking about entering values for a particular colour mode. If you know the HSL values that you want, it makes no sense to do a conversion to RGB just so that you can enter one hexadecimal value instead of three.

Alfred spacer.png

On 7/13/2020 at 11:04 AM, komakolud said:

Having a Hex color Input box on "HSL color wheel" and  "Rgb color" dialog box.

Most of the time when people are asking for the "hex color input" they are looking for something they can copy/paste into HTML/CSS code for use on the web, and that would need to be RGB.

To make sure we are clearly interpreting what you are asking for, are you looking for the actual HSL values to be encoded as HSL in hexadecimal format (which would be compatible with nothing), or are you asking for the RGB values to be encoded as hexadecimal and displayed on the tab along with the HSL color wheel (to be able to transfer values back and forth with HTML/CSS)?

20 hours ago, fde101 said:

Most of the time when people are asking for the "hex color input" they are looking for something they can copy/paste into HTML/CSS code for use on the web, and that would need to be RGB.

To make sure we are clearly interpreting what you are asking for, are you looking for the actual HSL values to be encoded as HSL in hexadecimal format (which would be compatible with nothing), or are you asking for the RGB values to be encoded as hexadecimal and displayed on the tab along with the HSL color wheel (to be able to transfer values back and forth with HTML/CSS)?

Yes, i am sorry i was not able to properly describe what i was looking for, but the later part of your comment is in perfect direction. Displaying the hexadecimal values alongside the hsl color wheel so as to be able to transfer back and forth without having to jump from Hsl to rgb dialog box, everytime, for each color, while working with Html/Css. Because the HSL color wheel is very intuitive but it does not show/obtain or let us enter color values directly without having us first switch to rgb dialog box and then enter/get hex values.

21 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

0xFF = 255

0xFFF = 4095

There is no easy way of representing a hue range of 0-360 degrees with hex numbers. You either end up with too little or too much range. We do have a hex input for RGB though. Choose Sliders from Colour panel menu, then on the dropdown change RGB to RGB Hex.

Okay, Please see the video i've attached. As you will see, If i select any color on HSL color wheel, then i switch to RGB hex dialog, there DO EXIST a hex for it. Similarly, if i generate a color in RGB hex color box, then if i switch to HSL color box, it does represent the very same color on HSL color wheel. This means Affinity is already doing Hex to HSL (and vice versa) conversions under the hood.

All i asked is, if this is possible, then why cant affinity place a HEX input field straight under/beneath Hsl color wheel (within Hsl color wheel dialog box), so that Web designers/developers do not have to switch everytime between RGB Hex and HSL color wheel dialog to Obtain or Paste the Hex color code. 😀

22 hours ago, Alfred said:

We’re not talking about translation, we’re talking about entering values for a particular colour mode. If you know the HSL values that you want, it makes no sense to do a conversion to RGB just so that you can enter one hexadecimal value instead of three.

Well, it may not make sense at first but this conversion is really helpful for Css/Html :) Also the conversions are already taking place in affinity under the hood. I felt it'd be handy if we can see then on a single/same dialog box, rather than switching in between

1 hour ago, komakolud said:

I felt it'd be handy if we can see then on a single/same dialog box, rather than switching in between

I agree that that would be handy — but you’re asking for an input field, not an output field. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I agree that that would be handy — but you’re asking for an input field, not an output field. ;)

An input field can work both ways, being kept in sync with the color selected on the wheel and vice versa.  It also has the benefit of being able to be copied from, to paste somewhere else, where a static text label often cannot be.

If this is going to be added at all, I would fully expect it would be as an input field.

That said, the color wheel display is already rather full, so for this to be offered, it should probably be an option that can be toggled in the panel's hamburger menu, so that the overall size of the panel need not increase for those of us who don't ordinarily have a use for this requested feature.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:59 AM, Mark Ingram said:

0xFF = 255

0xFFF = 4095

There is no easy way of representing a hue range of 0-360 degrees with hex numbers. You either end up with too little or too much range. We do have a hex input for RGB though. Choose Sliders from Colour panel menu, then on the dropdown change RGB to RGB Hex.

The request is for the HSL wheel mode of Colour panel to have a field for pasting or copying a RGB Hex value, which already is implemented in the Colour Chooser window.

rgbhex.png.45ce55367f8acede84e5607bb69714c3.png

12 hours ago, fde101 said:

Actually, it looks like you can just leave that window open and you should be in good shape...

Well, i'd rather disagree as the point you mentioned is correct but HSL color wheel feels incomplete without it and people working on their laptops without any other external monitor cannot do that.

16 hours ago, anon2 said:

The request is for the HSL wheel mode of Colour panel to have a field for pasting or copying a RGB Hex value, which already is implemented in the Colour Chooser window.

rgbhex.png.45ce55367f8acede84e5607bb69714c3.png

You made a very good point. Indeed it exist already elsewhere. thanks for mentioning :D

16 hours ago, Gordon Meyer said:

When exporting an artboard, the default filename should be the name of the artboard. 

For bonus points, a way to export multiple artboards (from the same document, with the same settings) at once would also be very helpful.

Sounds awesome, let me add it in list :D i hope developers have a look at our effort as well :)