You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Usability improvement: Delete cropped pixels

Cropping toolbar:

Simply add an option like in Adobe Photoshop, so anyone knowing he/she actually wants to perform a destructive crop can do it on the spot:

image.png.da87499bedc0d0c63b8a7e15473cc74d.png

Who would immediately think "I will need to rasterize my bitmap photo and trim it to get rid of the area I never wanted Photo to keep anyway" ?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Conceptually I like that idea.

However, the Context Toolbar for the Crop Tool in Photo is already quite full, and that addition would definitely push some of the existing options off into the pulldown. I'm not saying it shoudn't be added; just pointing out that drawback.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

that addition would definitely push some of the existing options off into the pulldown

This likely depends on your screen size.

On my (desktop) Mac there is plenty of room.  Laptop users might not fare as well.

A destructive crop mode has been requested previously and had in fact been implemented in one of the betas at one point but Serif pulled it out before the release due to some issues it was causing and it doesn't seem to have made its way back yet.  I suspect this is still on the list of things for them to do...

It is a very simple feature request from a customer. It is Serifs decision how to actually implement it.

If Serif approves it and goes forward with an implementation, ideally a user experience designer is asked to make a proposition for an implementation - it is their job - maybe other feature requests and improvements in the backlog can be grouped with this fix and then the user experience designer can make a proposition for an improved and perhaps simplified toolbar. The user experience designer is responsible for the user interface across programs on all platforms. Developers simply implement it - of course they have a say about the complexity involved implementing it - or alternatives - in the current architecture.

Once released in a beta I will have feedback again. Until then I am confident my request is in good hands. Especially if they have a user experience designer. Without one we could end up with a product like.... say... Affinity Photo. Ouch.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 7/13/2020 at 5:09 PM, Jowday said:

Who would immediately think "I will need to rasterize my bitmap photo and trim it to get rid of the area I never wanted Photo to keep anyway" ?

No one? I have not not felt any need to trim pixels outside canvas. When I export the image they are gone. No problem.

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

No one? I have not not felt any need to trim pixels outside canvas. When I export the image they are gone. No problem.

Everyone. The pixels are there as a visible selection (when you select the layer) until you export outside the canvas. Super annoying. A problem.

3 hours ago, Fixx said:

Just look at this. The crop tool is not selected btw ... there is no explanation, no hint and unless you know about rasterize and trim... no help.

image.thumb.png.f6327c275c54b809c0af1a4a39d3d2b9.png

Improvements to this operational detail are beneficial.
I think they have too many problems to solve.
There is a shortage of developers, That is the current dilemma.
I like affinity, but it's far from prime time.
It needs to accelerate development.xD

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Further it could be fx 20mp pixels cropped away still being handled and saved! If there are several cropped parts from several big images in one Photo document, even more data is dragged along. Customers here do not exactly report that file sizes are small and compact in the first place.

Imagine dragging the bones, intestines, hooves and skin with you in a kitchen until the moment the steak is served. No Affinity using chef would care, I guess...

On 7/15/2020 at 2:45 PM, Fixx said:

No, usually it does not make any difference. Affinity file sizes are big anyway...

Oh yes! Humongous file sizes. Another issue reported by customers:

So that's two often related issues.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:36 AM, Fixx said:

(...) When I export the image they are gone. No problem.

well, in fact there is an unwanted side-effect when exporting images that are not rasterized & trimmed.
See my posting here:   https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/118718-export-bug/