You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

There are areas where the tap operation is difficult to respond to.

SATO

I am using it with a combination of iPad (4th generation) and ApplePencil (2nd generation).

There are some areas at the top of the screen that are difficult to respond to taps. This problem occurs almost every time.

The problematic areas are the Persona button at the top of the screen, the Back from Layer Options button This is where the It is very frequently used, but it is unresponsive and has a negative impact on productivity.

With the pen unresponsive, I can't see any response when I tap with my finger.

I went to the Apple store today to have my iPad and ApplePencil tested for this problem. I did. There was no problem with the results. Replacing it with another ApplePencil did not improve the problem.

There was no problem with the ApplePencil in other apps. I'm not sure if this is an issue with this app, but if so, I'm hoping for an improvement.

Thanks for a great app.

20 minutes ago, SATO said:

I am using it with a combination of iPad (4th generation) and ApplePencil (2nd generation).

There are some areas at the top of the screen that are difficult to respond to taps. This problem occurs almost every time.

The problematic areas are the Persona button at the top of the screen, the Back from Layer Options button This is where the It is very frequently used, but it is unresponsive and has a negative impact on productivity.

With the pen unresponsive, I can't see any response when I tap with my finger.

I went to the Apple store today to have my iPad and ApplePencil tested for this problem. I did. There was no problem with the results. Replacing it with another ApplePencil did not improve the problem.

There was no problem with the ApplePencil in other apps. I'm not sure if this is an issue with this app, but if so, I'm hoping for an improvement.

Thanks for a great app.

C8C7BD2C-83DD-4CDD-83D6-D0F1B60EB3DC.jpeg

Hi @SATO Welcome to the Affinity forums. I am sorry to hear you are having these issues.

Can I ask you to confirm whether you are using the iPad Pro 2020 model? So that I can see specifically what you are referring to is it possible to upload a video of this in action please? Could you also change your settings to show touches before recording it?

To show touches:

Thanks

Thank you for replying.

I'm using a 2020 model iPadPro.
I shot these videos on my iPhone and the touch at the top of the screen is not very responsive at times.

Sometimes it doesn't respond with a pen, sometimes it doesn't respond with a finger touch.
Sometimes the persona button on the left side of the screen doesn't respond in the same way.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue on my iPad with Affinity Designer. The top bar controls (personas, and exporting art board settings) do not respond well to my Apple Pencil or touch. It often takes multiple touches, or glitchy/lengthy workarounds. I've been using Affinity Designer for almost a year and this issue is pretty recent (August 2020), but VERY frustrating and is killing my workflow, especially while working with clients remotely. Please let me know if there has been a resolution to this.

I have tried using the app in different orientations to see if it's a hardware problem, but the same area is completely responsive on other apps.

Hi @SATO Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I've been looking into this. I haven't been able to recreate it on my 2020 iPad Pro so have looked around for any other reports of this issue.

The only one I could find involved the customer doing a Soft Reset - "Turning it off and back on again!" Do you think you could give it a go and see it if helps?

@Tomms13 Welcome to the Affinity forums. Could you also give this a try for me please?

• 2 months later...

Hi @ArisC Welcome to the Affinity forums!

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this too. When it happens next can I ask you to do a soft reset "Turning it off and back on again!" as we're had reports that this works.

If you don't have any luck with this could you give us more details please? I've only had this happen to me on one occasion now and it seemed to be battery related. When my pen battery dropped to 40% this kicked in. If I charged the pen it stopped happening. 

So if the soft reset doesn't fix it for you can you answer these questions please?

1. What were you doing when it started?

2. What percentage is your pen battery?
3. What happens if you charge your pen when this is happening? Does this fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @ChrissMario We have been unable to recreate the issue so far. We are looking for steps to reproduce it so we can pass it on to the development team and they can reproduce it 100% too. So far we have only had reports of it happening but not of what triggers it. 

Next time it happens can you have the following questions in mind when it first starts, then come back here to answer them for us please?
1. What specifically are you doing when this issue first starts?
2. When it's happening, if you was to open a Safari window does it still happen in Safari?
3. Does doing a Soft Reset - "Turning it off and back on again!" fix that instance of the problem?

Hi @SPaceBar Now I make some more test of this, and I think I understand that the problem is because the area of the button is somehow limited to the middle downside of the button/icon area. So it's not the whole button/icon active, just the middle down. It's not like the rest of the buttons/icons, which can be easily pushed, either with a finger or the pencil. But the ones on the top (the line of the persona menu) bar are very hard to use with a finger, and you have to be precise with the pencil, which is not comfortable at all. I've attached two video clips from my phone because a record of the screen was useless. I hope they will show you what the issue is and you can recreate it. Also, this is a constant thing, after Soft Reset is the same, so nothing in particular triggers it, it's just there.

Thanks for the videos @SATO & @ChrissMario  a similar issue has been logged previously so I will add your information to the bug and pass it on to the development team for a closer look.

There is a test you can do make sure your screen is working fine and doesn't have a dead zone. Open a new document and zoom in so the canvas goes off the edges of your screen.  Select the Pencil Tool or Paint Brush Tool and then click the "Hide UI" icon in the top right of your screen. Attempt to draw / paint across the area where the UI was previously. 

• 2 months later...