You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - greyscale PDF creates 4 plate PDF

• 1 month later...

I just had the same problem: Document in grey, text only (apart from a logo) and exported as greyscale PDFX4… according to the printer I got a PDF in 4c.
This should be really easier and most of all: consistent. At the moment I have the feeling that the choices when exporting PDF don't have any effect at all.

• 2 years later...

I would like to chime in and say that this is infuriatingly complicated. Just for giggles, I created a new blank document, set as

• Color Format: Gray/16
  • Color Profile: Generic Gray Gamma 2.2 Profile

I added one word in black only, and exported it using the Preset:

• PDF (press ready)

Results opened in Acrobat Pro:

• CMYK black text

Good thing I have Pitstop Pro to convert the text back to black only again. But it's ridiculous that this doesn't work correctly. I'm trying to teach a customer how to export their files correctly when they send them to us to be printed, because they are using Affinity, so I downloaded the apps to my computer. But I'm an hour in and haven't found any way to get their files to export as grayscale. Nor could I get the simple file that I created to export as Grayscale.

I've read through this entire thread and tried all the options suggested here, and none of them have resolved this.

See if this post could help you:

In a nutshell: If you have Gray color mode, you need to use the Grayscale color definitions (which are basically RGB but handled as grayscale when exported to Grayscale). K definitions would produce dark gray. If you have a CMYK document color mode, you need to use K definitions (to avoid four-color black), using grayscale definitions is the same as using RGB composites.