You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Current Affinity Issues

***Affinity issues*** (2020 July)

* We can create separate grids for separate artboards, but we cannot set different grid line color for each artboard. Suppose if i change grid line color or opacity to "green" on one artboard, all other artboards also
have same grid line color and opacity. This gets troublesome when we have multiple artboards with different grids and you have to jump in between.

* It's impossible to separate/group swatches within a swatch category, please do something about it :/

* Unable to zoom in/out of document when "text styles" popup window is open. Whereas any other window like "effects window", or "preferences popup window" allow zooming in/out of document flawlessly in Background.

* So many vector documents downloaded from sites like Freepik (An example this: https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/cryptocurrency-landing-page_4649920.htm)
appear to be faded when opened in affinity applications, but the case is not same with illustrator, they're vivid and bright in illustrator. Overall affinity have some color rendering issues. I tried to apply every color profile available
in affinity but they're inadequate. Try yourself!

* Affinity still cannot work properly with vector blend modes to produce lights effects (color dodge blend mode). Here, open this template in affinity and see for yourself. https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/collection-realistic-spotlight-illumination_4947159.htm

* PDF, Word documents (and i suspect some other document types) could not be set as linked like various image formats. They remain embedded and could not be linked which clutter the affinity document thus increasing file size.

* Sometimes enabling grids on one "view mode" enable grids on other "view mode" as well.It only happen sometimes, but it does.

• Staff
10 hours ago, komakolud said:

***Affinity issues*** (2020 July)

* We can create separate grids for separate artboards, but we cannot set different grid line color for each artboard. Suppose if i change grid line color or opacity to "green" on one artboard, all other artboards also
have same grid line color and opacity. This gets troublesome when we have multiple artboards with different grids and you have to jump in between.

* It's impossible to separate/group swatches within a swatch category, please do something about it :/

* PDF, Word documents (and i suspect some other document types) could not be set as linked like various image formats. They remain embedded and could not be linked which clutter the affinity document thus increasing file size.

These are all feature suggestions and not bugs, so please create a post in Feature Requests

* Unable to zoom in/out of document when "text styles" popup window is open. Whereas any other window like "effects window", or "preferences popup window" allow zooming in/out of document flawlessly in Background.

This dialog is Modal where as all the other dialogs are non-modal. I will check with development to see if there is a reason for this difference.

* So many vector documents downloaded from sites like Freepik (An example this: https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/cryptocurrency-landing-page_4649920.htm)
appear to be faded when opened in affinity applications, but the case is not same with illustrator, they're vivid and bright in illustrator. Overall affinity have some color rendering issues. I tried to apply every color profile available
in affinity but they're inadequate. Try yourself!

* Affinity still cannot work properly with vector blend modes to produce lights effects (color dodge blend mode). Here, open this template in affinity and see for yourself. https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/collection-realistic-spotlight-illumination_4947159.htm

I've opened both the EPS and AI file for the Cryptocurrency in Affinity Designer and I'm not getting any issues with them being 'faded'. However what I did notice is that the EPS 'file' (more on this in a moment) is actually in CMYK, so there is a much smaller gamut of colours than the original RGB source.

EPS:
 CryptoEPS.PNG

AI:
CrytoAI.PNG

With regards to the blend modes example, this isn't so much as a bug in our software, but a result of the way Illustrator handles both its AI files and its EPS files.
An AI file contains two streams of data: The native AI portion, and also a PDF copy of the data. Unfortunately we do not support the native AI portion, so have to rely on the PDF stream (which is why you get the PDF import dialog). Unfortunately when AI is creating this data it is creating masks with a grey scale pixel layer for transparency. So there isn't anything that we can do - we're just opening the supplied PDF data. In fact you can just rename the extension of an AI file to .PDF and open it up in Acrobat to view the PDF stream of data.

The EPS files are of a similar issue. Illustrator saves a native AI file inside the EPS, along with a traditional EPS stream of data. When an EPS is opened in AI, it will read the AI file so looks correct. However other applications that cannot read this have to rely on the standard EPS data (in this case Affinity). In this case the actual EPS is being interpretted as CMYK, so is getting converted to a CMYK profile on import.

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

These are all feature suggestions and not bugs, so please create a post in Feature Requests

This dialog is Modal where as all the other dialogs are non-modal. I will check with development to see if there is a reason for this difference.

Oh, apologies. But nonetheless thanks for response and i am glad to share my insights with a moderator.

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

I've opened both the EPS and AI file for the Cryptocurrency in Affinity Designer and I'm not getting any issues with them being 'faded'. However what I did notice is that the EPS 'file' (more on this in a moment) is actually in CMYK, so there is a much smaller gamut of colours than the original RGB source.

EPS:
 CryptoEPS.PNG

AI:
CrytoAI.PNG

Yes! you're right. i was actually considering EPS as a universal vector format, to be supported by every vector app and being treated equally. i didn't gave Ai format a try, neither expected the Pdf dilemma nor was aware about it's existence even in Eps. thanks for breaking it down for me 😃