You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Achieve Image Overlay with Text?

Which Affinity package are you using? This is how you do it in Designer but you might be able to achieve the same results in Publisher (and possibly Photo) using a similar method.

1. Use the Elipse Tool elipse.jpg.54242d6681cf15876b6b222dccf7f71d.jpg to draw a circle over your image. Press shift+drag when drawing the elipse to create a perfect circle.
  2. Set its colour to white and reduce its opacity using the Opacity slider at the bottom of the Colour tab.
    Untitled.png.aff04c52b30c135071640c97381cf1cc.png
  3. Add text using the Artistic Text Tool artistictext.jpg.82956f2115fe2819a711f5b7c0560c37.jpg or the Frame Text Tool frametext.jpg.71534348bce10b0ef1440fe2dab68501.jpg. You can format your text using the toolbar that appears at the top when your text is selected.

The method given by Cara above is probably the easiest and quickest to do in all of the Affinity applications.
One addition to that method that I would add is to nest the text layer inside the ellipse layer to make it easier to move/resize them both together.

On top of the advice above I have attached a short video of another method that can be used in Publisher (the other Affinity applications don’t have the same Text Frame support as Publisher).

You have lot of options so try experimenting with these methods – depending on which application(s) you have access to – and see what you are more comfortable with.

• 5 months later...

I have tried using GarryP's method, and everything works until I enter the text in the text box. Instead of appearing in the text box it appears beneath the picture!

Annoyingly, I have sometimes got it to work, but not always, and I do not know what the differences are when I do succeed.

Because of the template I use I need to have an overall background text frame as part of the Master Page.

I have also tried creating a text frame using the text frame tool and dragging it over the image. The same thing happens (text appears below the picture, not in the box).

Sample file attached.

TextOverlayProblem.afpub

Remove the Text Wrap setting from the Picture frame. Take your little Text Frame (currently empty) and group it with the Picture Frame, Now apply the Text Wrap to the Group of the picture frame and its text frame.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.