You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snap any part of curve to any part of curve

Hello!

In this circumstance (is this a pun? lol), I have two differently sized ellipses and my goal is to have them snap to each other at any point of the path. To clarify, I'm not talking about snapping the nodes. In the image attached, the black circle is where I want these two paths to meet.

The only solution I can think of is to add a node on the circle to the right, then snap that node to the path on the left, but this isn't ideal because I have to eyeball where I place that node. If this isn't possible, it would be an excellent feature!

image.png.b0a2dcbecea1dda1666338f6f7b31c54.png

Edited by aethic

If you're wanting to snap a segment between nodes to another segment between nodes, then I'm pretty sure Affinity Designer can't do this (wiser/more experienced heads may chime in to correct me). If you're on a Mac, you can download a free beta of VectorStyler ; it has "Collision Snapping" which sounds like what you're after.

(Just in case, you know about "Snap to geometry of selected curves" in the node context toolbar, right?):

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher

Thanks for the reply!

Ah, yes. Collision Snapping is precisely what I'm after. I'm very new to Designer, but I'm familiar with the video you showed. I've played with all snapping options endlessly, but the equivalent to collision snapping doesn't seem viable without some workarounds that are inherently inaccurate for what I'm trying to do.

If anyone can think of a workaround for this, then that would be great! Here's another example of what I'm trying to achieve.

image.png.6cfd2a78c8d8bf7baeb1cf2ac7a03daa.png

How close do the curves have to be to each other?

A clunky, "well, they're close but not overlapping" workaround:

1) Enable "Snap to object bounding boxes" in Snapping manager
2) Draw a rectangle over the area on the curve you want to "join"
3) Select curve layer and rectangle layer
4) Menu>Layer>Alignment>Align Middle
5) Drag other curve over until it snaps in the center of the rectangle's bounding box
6) Delete rectangle

Depending on whether you're working in pixels, millimeters, etc., there might be a way to use the Transform panel to overlap the curves precisely, but I'll leave that one to those wiser heads I mentioned earlier.

@Lagarto I agree. For me, I find it odd that something seemingly so rudimentary isn't easy to achieve. I'm going to post in the feature request section to hopefully get this implemented in the future I guess 😅

@appearsharmless It kind of looks like the left most node in the right ellipse is snapping to the right most node in the left ellipse, which I have been able to do (I think). It's just when getting an absolute precise snapping on the curves, from what I can tell it's non-existent. 

I started Designer today, no joke, but realized that this is an issue I've had for as long as I can remember, but just got used to it. I noticed it with Designer because I was starting a new program coming from Illustrator.

14 minutes ago, aethic said:

@appearsharmless It kind of looks like the left most node in the right ellipse is snapping to the right most node in the left ellipse, which I have been able to do (I think). It's just when getting an absolute precise snapping on the curves, from what I can tell it's non-existent.

It's a bit hard to tell in the videos, but there's no node-snapping occurring at all (but then, there's no segment snapping occurring, either 🤷‍♂️ )