You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fill layer with pattern/another image

Hey guys new to affinity , loving the software so far .

Question is on fill effects 

I would like help to fill a layer with another image to create a pattern in that layer .

im designing a few differenent clothing items and need to use pattern fill or bitmap fill so i can alter different areas of the clothing item 

any help or a link to a tutorial would be awesome 

thanks in advance 

• Staff

Hello barley,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the object you want to fill with a pattern, select the Gradient Tool, change the Type dropdown to Bitmap and pick the image you want to use as a fill.

Here's a tutorial that may help (check around 3:45s).

And a quick reference for more video tutorials.

• Staff

Hello marsofearth,

You can scale the fill dragging it on the canvas with the Gradient tool. Currently there's no way to do it precisely neither to display/reset it to 1:1 scale.

Those improvements were already suggested but they weren't implement yet due to time constraints. I believe they will come later (at least the option to reset the fill to 1:1).

Hello marsofearth,

You can scale the fill dragging it on the canvas with the Gradient tool. Currently there's no way to do it precisely neither to display/reset it to 1:1 scale.

Those improvements were already suggested but they weren't implement yet due to time constraints. I believe they will come later (at least the option to reset the fill to 1:1).

Okay, photoshop will have to do the pattern fills then until precise scaling can be introduced.

I like the Gradient Tool use of Pattern fill for its "Artistic" focus.  

A more traditional print friendly pattern fill to maintain scale across packaging would be welcome in the future.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

I rely heavily on the vector pattern swatches for my .SVG Large Poster work In Illustrator.

When running the demo I imported my .Ai files  and the patterns were intact. Now that I purchased the Windows version I found this issue when I  tried to make a new illustration.

:(

I see that this has been reported since 2015 and there is no mention of resolving this, I am so disappointed.I am in Art school and wanted to recommend this program to all my Mac friends.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Miki said:

It seems layer effects do not work for bitmap fill-layers? Is this a missing feature or a bug?

(I know I could rasterize the fill-layer first, but the ability to change/scale the bitmap pattern anytime is very important)

Layer effects (fx) are working fine for me on bitmap fills. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, Miki said:

It seems layer effects do not work for bitmap fill-layers? Is this a missing feature or a bug?

(I know I could rasterize the fill-layer first, but the ability to change/scale the bitmap pattern anytime is very important)

Check this out, maybe it will point to something you can use.

SymbolTiles.thumb.jpg.05db9c1c3030224774107de41f8cb612.jpg

LayedBits&Fx.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet