You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Toggle between two layers or groups of layers?

Hi to all,

Is it possible to select two layers, or two groups of layers, and toggle back and forth between them?

When editing photos, I will often put two different ideas on two different layers:

Let's say "A" is a curves layer where I've put a lot of contrast and "B" a curves layer where I've put only a little contrast.

I want to look at one, then the other, to see which idea I like best.

As it stands now, the only thing that I seem to be able to do is to uncheck A to see what B looks like; then uncheck B and check A to see what A looks like; then uncheck A and recheck B to see what it looks like again; ... ad nauseam.

That's long and especially any true "toggling effect" (a rapid back and forth between the adjusted images) is lost, because you're obliged to either go briefly completely back to the unadjusted background layer (a third "version" thus), or have both of the adjustment layers briefly activated (a fourth "version" thus). 😖

What I'm looking for is to select A and B:

[Keystroke and/or Click]:

A checked, B unchecked

[Keystroke and/or Click]:

A unchecked, B checked

etc. etc.

What's the magic keystroke or keystroke and click combination that I'm missing to do this?

Thanks to all in advance!

• Staff

Hi Kerwin,

You can set a shortcut to show/hide a layer in Preferences>Keyboard shortcuts and use Ctrl+Cursor key (up or down) to move up or down the layers panel and then press the shortcut you've assigned for Show/Hide.  Other than that, i can't see another way of doing this. 

This may work but no time to test it...

Assuming both your Curves layers are above your Pixel layer and are not child layers of the Pixel layer, then...

Select and invert one Curves layer with CTRL+I (effectively switching it off)

Then select both Curve layers and use CTRL+I to toggle them on and off simultaneously

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.