You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Turning strokes into brush textures?

Hello,

I've been searching for a way to apply a brush stroke to existing shapes. The video below shows it can be done in Designer, but I can't find an equivalent for Photo. The method used in Designer does not work in Photo.

I'm also attaching an image showing what I mean. I would like to recreate the black lines - they are not masks; their edges are textured.

I'd appreciate anyone solving this problem.

Unbenannt.JPG.71ceead96aef6fd03b991694f43e6889.JPG

That function is not present in Photo. It is a Designer function that uses vector brushes, and Photo only uses raster brushes.

If you also own Designer you can accomplish it by opening your .afphoto file in Designer, or by using File > Edit in Designer. When done, you can transfer the file back to Photo with File > Edit in Photo. Or, if you have Designer and Publisher, and use Publisher as a workflow aid, you can switch from the Photo Persona to the Designer Persona to get that function, then just switch back to the Photo Persona when you're done.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for replying, Walt. I do also have Designer. But the person who drew the sample image I showed says she always does all the textures in Adobe Photoshop, so I thought it's possible in Affinity Photo as well.

I'm new to using textures and was hoping to do all of them in one program. Thanks for letting me know this can't be done the way I had thought.

You're welcome.

You'll find that some Photoshop functions are part of Photo, and others are part of Designer, depending on how the Serif team partitioned them. Serif wanted to have have one program targeted at designers and illustrators who would primarily use vector drawing tools, and one for photographers. They split the functions based on what they thought would be of primary interest to the intended users, rather than having one program that would do everything.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I actually haven't found a way to make this work in designer.

I would like to give an object a texured edge without applying a stroke (outline). This is important to me because often objects are too detailed to handle a stroke around them.

After spending much time searching for an answer for Affinity, I was so fed up and did a search for it on Adobe. The very first video I watched explains it within the first 2 minutes.

I'm in tears because I feel what I want to do is so basic, but when I do the same search for Affinity, I only get one result, posted in this forum, basically saying there is no way to do this. 😰