You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't see Fields under View>Studio in Designer

I know I must be going mad, but I want to change various document fields like author, title, etc., and I believe they are supposed to be in View>Studio>Fields, but I can't see Fields listed!

Can someone please put me out my misery here?

Thank you.

"Fields" is a feature in Publisher, not Designer.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

1 hour ago, imacken said:

In that case, how do I change the things I mentioned in the first post?

I don't think you can. I've been looking through the Export Persona and there isn't an option to add metadata like you can do in Affinity Publisher and Photo. However, if you export your document as an image and save it with a different filename to your document's filename, it will set the image title to your document's filename. As far as I can tell, the only way to add a title and author is after you've exported your document; right click the image where it's saved, go to Properties > Details and type in your details there.

Thanks Cara, but I can't get that to work.

Here is the situation, take a Designer document, say 'Document A', export it as a pdf calling it any name.  When viewed, it will have the title 'Document A'.

Then, make some edits to 'Document A', save it as 'Document B', export it as a pdf.  When viewed, it still has the title 'Document A'.

This is not good!

How do I resolve this?

I forgot you could export to PDF in Designer, I was assuming you were exporting to an image, sorry about that.

I've been trying to change the PDF title to the new Designer document name with no luck. You can't change the PDF metadata like you can do with an image either. My only suggestion is to get Adobe Acrobat (it has a 7 day free trial) or find another 3rd party application for changing PDF metadata.

I'm sorry I couldn't be much help.

Thanks again.

The question is, where is this metadata coming from?  Is it Designer or in the export function?

If Designer is generating it, then it must be able to change it, surely?

This issue is causing me quite a lot of hassle on many documents.  The only way I can workaround this is to create a new document, copy and paste all from the original doc and then export .  Really is a PITA!

Must be a proper solution to this.

I'll raise a support case if no none can help here.

1 hour ago, imacken said:

make some edits to 'Document A', save it as 'Document B', export it as a pdf.  When viewed, it still has the title 'Document A'.

This is not good!

I think that's right - document title and file name are completely different things, so there's no reason to change the document title when changing the file name.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Sorry, but yes there is!

If I make changes to a document and save it as a different file name, then I certainly don't want the exported pdf to have the same title as the unrelated previous document, especially when it is going onto a web site when it shows the wrong title in a web browser.

14 minutes ago, imacken said:

If I make changes to a document and save it as a different file name, then I certainly don't want the exported pdf to have the same title

You may not want to, but many other users yes - the "document title" must not change when the file name is changed. If you want to change it - change it, but not by renaming the file.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

You may not want to, but many other users yes - the "document title" must not change when the file name is changed. If you want to change it - change it, but not by renaming the file.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean.  I'm trying to change it, that's the whole point of this thread!

Please tell us how.

21 minutes ago, Cara said:

How do you change the title in Affinity Designer?

As you know, unfortunately it is not possible directly in ADesigner - if someone needs it, it is necessary to request it in the "Feature Requests & Suggestions" section. I do this by switching the document "Edit in Publisher...".

I see the same problem as the OP.
Method:

• Create a new document and save it as “initial document.afdesign”.
  • Export the document to PDF (keep filename as suggested by Designer “initial document.pdf”).
  • Save As the document with a new name “copied document.afdesign”.
  • Export the document to PDF (keep filename as suggested by Designer “copied document.pdf”).
  • Open “initial document.pdf” in Adobe Reader – panel title shown as “initial document.pdf”
  • Open “copied document.pdf” in Adobe Reader – panel title shown as “copied document.pdf”

However, the Title of the “copied document.pdf” in Adobe Reader Properties shows as “initial document”.
See attached image.

I agree that it should be possible for the user to change the Title which is shown in Properties in Adobe Reader (and other PDF veiwers).
For example, I generally create lots of different versions of the same document before it is finalised, each version with a numerical suffix. However, when the document is finalised I don’t want it to have the Title of, for example, “My Document – V1” (the first version), I would prefer to use a title of “My Document” and have all copies keep that same title throughout the process.

Annotation 2020-07-12 133013.png

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

panel title shown as “copied document.pdf”

Yes, because "panel title" (tab description) shows "file name" not "document title". 

Yes, I know that. That is not the problem and I didn’t say it was.
That was me showing my progress through the method used to get to the problem.
The problem is that the Title in the Properties cannot be changed (reference the line in my earlier post with the underlines and bold text in it).

4 minutes ago, imacken said:

It seems completely crazy that this can be done in Publisher

Due to the different uses of individual Affinity applications, it can be expected that some features will have only some of them. I think that Serif assumes (and corresponds to the low price of individual applications and their interconnection) that users will own the entire Affinity Suite (if they require all available features).

18 minutes ago, imacken said:

It seems completely crazy that this can be done in Publisher (which I don’t have) but not in Designer. 

The various applications have unique functions, and the Fields panel (with the ability to set the PDF document title) was created for and is unique to Publisher. Presumably it might appear in the other applications someday, but it seems to me that the More... page of the Export settings might be more appropriate for that one, and easier to implement in all the applications.

There's another workaround if you own Photo. You can open your Designr file in Photo (or use File > Edit in Photo) and then set the Document Title in the Metadata studio panel. That will carry over into the PDF file if you export from Photo. (I'm not sure if you could set it in Photo, then transfer the file back to Designer before exporting; I haven't tried that.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

There's another workaround if you own Photo. You can open your Designr file in Photo (or use File > Edit in Photo) and then set the Document Title in the Metadata studio panel. That will carry over into the PDF file if you export from Photo. (I'm not sure if you could set it in Photo, then transfer the file back to Designer before exporting; I haven't tried that.)

At least on my iMac, that works ... except that weirdly, while both Finder's 'Get info' window & Preview.app's 'Inspector' window show the edited title for the exported PDF, neither Affinity Photo nor Affinity Publisher show anything for the title in their Metadata or Fields panel, respectively, after the exported PDF has been saved & then reopened directly in either of those apps.

Is anybody else seeing the same thing or is this maybe an indication that there is something wrong with my Affinity Mac apps?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

At least on my iMac, that works ... except that weirdly, while both Finder's 'Get info' window & Preview.app's 'Inspector' window show the edited title for the exported PDF, neither Affinity Photo nor Affinity Publisher show anything for the title in their Metadata or Fields panel, respectively, after the exported PDF has been saved & then reopened directly in either of those apps.

Is anybody else seeing the same thing or is this maybe an indication that there is something wrong with my Affinity Mac apps?

I see the same thing on Windows.

I can't believe that this can be correct behaviour.  We can change the title in Publisher or Photo but not Designer.  We can export the pdf in Photo from a Designer file which shows the correct title in Windows/Mac file system, but does not show when reloading into Photo.

4 hours ago, imacken said:

We can export the pdf in Photo from a Designer file which shows the correct title in Windows/Mac file system, but does not show when reloading into Photo.

I don't know about Windows but the document title is not shown in the Mac's file system at all. As @Pšenda mentioned earlier, the document title and file name are completely different things.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

49 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't know about Windows but the document title is not shown in the Mac's file system at all. As @Pšenda mentioned earlier, the document title and file name are completely different things.

Good grief! No one is talking about file names. We’re talking about how to edit the title.