You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Correct me if I am wrong, as I am new to using the Affinity range, but I find the lasso behaviour is odd.

I expect any object to be touched by the lasso to be selected, but it seems I have to completely enclose the object, which in certain cases can be difficult because I can not see the obvious extent of the object and/or I am trying to avoid other objects.

Is this a behaviour set somewhere in the preferences that I can not find, or is there a modifier key or Tool that changes it to do what I want?

Thanks for any advice. :)

So the objects you are trying to partially select are on different layers?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

No I have only one layer. I can select the objects if I completely encircle them but not if I partially lasso them.

Just did a test in a document with just a single rectangle on it. As I said, I have to completely encircle it to select it.

This is contrary to all UI that I have previously encountered.

If by "Lasso" you mean the "Freehand Selection Tool",  it isn't intended to select objects, it's used to select an area.

You can use the Move Tool to select objects. By default you need to drag completely around an object to select it, but you can change this behaviour in "Preferences"  so you only need to go over the objects. Of course you can also select multiple objects by shift clicking either on the objects or in the Layers Tab.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Thank you. :)

I searched multiple times in Preferences. This time I went line by line and finally found it:

Menu > Affinity Designer > Preferences > Tools > Select object when intersects with selection marque

All is right with the world again. Odd default behaviour!

btw Is it right that Affinity Designer doesn't have a Skew tool? I am also having trouble grabbing line segments and dragging them which is an alternative to the Skew Tool.

Thank you very much MEB.

My mistake was trying to click on the points. It does seem strange to have to avoid them and click near, but not on them, but it works!

Thanks again. That demo hit the spot! Is there a way to enter a numerical value for the skew or rotate?

I notice that double clicking undoes the action, which is neat.