You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is an Affinity Photo 1.8.3 on Mac question 

I cannot get a Group to clip (paint inside all layers in the group.) why? I thought this could be done. But I can not get it working.

The first curve in the group is the clip layer.

Not clipping Group.jpg

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

• Staff

Are you wanting to clip the selected curve layer to the bottom one in the screenshot? If so you aren't clipping the group, you clipping layers within it, just click drag that layer onto the bottom layer. When a small line appears from the thumbnail to the right hand side release.

1 hour ago, Lee D said:

Are you wanting to clip the selected curve layer to the bottom one in the screenshot? If so you aren't clipping the group, you clipping layers within it, just click drag that layer onto the bottom layer. When a small line appears from the thumbnail to the right hand side release.

Are you speaking of masking the bottom layer? Because that is how you mask not clip. I could be wrong but I want to use a clipping to clip paint inside  layer to shade all layers in the group. not mask one layer. Thanks sorry if I'm not being clear.

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

8 minutes ago, uncle808us said:

clip paint inside  layer to shade all layers in the group. not mask one layer

As you've discovered, the current Affinity apps do not support clipping by a container object such as a Group. If I recall correctly, that is on the developers' to-do list, but don't hold your breath.

5 minutes ago, uncle808us said:

Thanks too bad. If I held my breath waiting for developers to add or fix software I would never breath again. :10_wink:

A workaround is to duplicate the Group and use the duplicate to mask the object that you wanted to clip, and position that masked object above the original Group. However, masking by a container object results in rasterisation when exported, so that may be an unacceptable workaround.