You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newbie trying to conquer the pen tool...

Gooh boy. 

Newbie here, attempting this tutorial and it's not going... great. Lol.

Trying to wrap my brain around the pen tool. I wanted my car fender to come out like this:

image.png.dc5e9abb2f84181c35c1b52dcd25c90a.png

But it came out like this:

image.png.7f2f160cb82f117c1fbde241d2d88b29.png 

Two questions: 

What is the simplest way to fix the kink in the top left of the vendor - other than to redraw it? 

Similarly, the right lower part of the vendor is fatter than I wanted. Is there a quick way to slim it up?

Thank you!

The  simplest way to fix the kink  would be simply to delete this node + get the curve automatically repaired by Affinity.
EDIT:  Unfortunately this doesn't work yet.   Hold the opt/alt key when deleting the node to maintain the curve angles.

Thanks to the key hint of @appearsharmless in the following post I insert another clip to avoid my previous information below being misleading.

So one  the bit cumbersome option would be to delete the node + move / adjust the curve manually only, like so:

For fat stroke thickness check out the node positions first, then the Stroke Panel options for width and alignment.

2038085333_strokepanel.jpg.5367cea9e4245f363fe81174fbd4e808.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

In this particular case, you could also use the "Delete node but retain curve shape" modifier key:

With the node tool activated, click once on the node where the "kink" is to select the node, hold down the option key (Alt on PC) and press the delete key. 

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)| MacOS (Probably latest stable build)

Affinity Designer|Affinity Photo|Affinity Publisher