You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

App gets terminated in the background

Affinity designer and affinity photo gets terminated in the background on iPad 11” 2018. I am working on a file, jump to Safari just do quickly see something (7-15 seconds), come back and the app starts to reload — and my work is lost because it isn’t saved automatically. This is starting to happen really often, I found a temporary fix (I use slide-over since your app ALSO doesn’t support splitscreen either) and your app doesnt shut down in slideover, where technically there’s more work for the iPad to do. I don’t know if it’s iOS or your app, but something needs to be fixed. And you need to add splitscreen, too :)), I would gladly pay $100 for those two things.

Anyways, thanks for making the best design apps on iPad by far!

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

5 hours ago, konstantnnn said:

I found a temporary fix (I use slide-over since your app ALSO doesn’t support splitscreen either) and your app doesnt shut down in slideover

Why not simply return to the home screen before switching to another app? The Affinity apps shouldn’t crash, of course, but at least returning to the home screen will ensure that you can pick up where you left off.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes, but you know when you’re in the “flow’ and actually fully focused on your work — and quickly need to reference something, tapping the home icon - waiting for the file to save - switching apps - finding what you need -returning to the app again - locating and opening the document - selecting the tool you were in... can feel like a tedious, unintuitive process that’s slow and cumbersome.

But yes, that is a solution.

Vista PC in the attic 

And it’s even more annoying because if you have a podcast playing in the background, you just quickly switch apps to pause the podcast — and you return in secconds to affinity photo/designer and the app reloads completely. 

this is not happening always, sometimes even on huge documents, the app stays in background memory for hours & everything is fine. but other times, (even when only two apps are open), the app just shuts down immediately.

Vista PC in the attic 

30 minutes ago, konstantnnn said:

this is not happening always, sometimes even on huge documents, the app stays in background memory for hours & everything is fine

I’m using a humble iPad Air2, and I don’t often work on huge documents, but I also occasionally find the app crashing in the background. It’s far from obvious why it sometimes does and sometimes doesn’t.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 hours ago, konstantnnn said:

tapping the home icon - waiting for the file to save - switching apps - finding what you need -returning to the app again - locating and opening the document - selecting the tool you were in... can feel like a tedious, unintuitive process that’s slow and cumbersome.

But is not as bad as losing your work! 🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

2 hours ago, DM1 said:

But is not as bad as losing your work! 🙂

You’re right!

Vista PC in the attic 

• Staff

Hey konstantnnn,

This is something I have experienced but it's usually after a much longer period of time.

I believe it is the OS running out of memory and ending the task. 

You should not be losing work though. Try reducing the auto-save somewhat. By default it is set to 300 seconds.

Oh okay, i’ve reduced it to 30 seconds. Is that reducing performance of the app? (when it’s autosaving constantly?)

I don’t know if it’s my iPad, but I literally have a few apps installed and running only Affinity and one Safari tab and it crashes immediately once I go to the homescreen…

iPad 11 2018 btw, but anyways, thank you for the auto-save tip, I always thought that setting meant « After 300 history state changes do an autosave » not after 300 seconds 😅😅

Vista PC in the attic 

Thank you so much Chris for the tips, unfortunately, I suspected this — my Undo limit has been set to 16 for months now since I work non-destructively 

Vista PC in the attic