You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are you adding variable fonts anytime soon?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DarkClown said:

This topic really needs some attention!

Serif has made it very clear that they will not comment on what if any new features are going to be added, other than what might be added to the current betas; but even for that there is no guarantee that everything new in the beta will make it to the release version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Serif has made it very clear that they will not comment on what if any new features are going to be added, other than what might be added to the current betas; but even for that there is no guarantee that everything new in the beta will make it to the release version.

I'm not asking them to comment on future developments .... I'm asking them to implement this feature ;-) - no comment required.
And btw: current betas mostly seem to get bugfixes (what is very good!) - very little new (side) features. So I guess I'm not the only one desperately waiting for those essential improvements in the next (paid) major release that are due for many years now ;-) .... I'm sure there must be a second hidden beta program for the chosen to test these overdue features *bg*

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

15 hours ago, DarkClown said:

I'm not asking them to comment on future developments .... I'm asking them to implement this feature ;-) - no comment required.

Of course you are. Implementing any feature that isn't there now requires developing (& testing) it before it can be implemented in a future release version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Of course you are. Implementing any feature that isn't there now requires developing (& testing) it before it can be implemented in a future release version.

In case serif considers implementing this feature of course developing and testing is involved (I'm happy to support) - so surely programming is required ;-) - but no commenting. Action speaks louder than words ;-)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

• 2 months later...

Another vote again for this feature. Just came by a delicious typeface I want to use, and it is available only as a variable font! Usually I've been able to get around this well and good, but now, I am actually feeling that I'm missing out and instead of what I'd prefer, I have to go with something else instead because the variable font support ain't there. 

Camoon! 

34 minutes ago, FurtherForm said:

Another vote again for this feature. Just came by a delicious typeface I want to use, and it is available only as a variable font! Usually I've been able to get around this well and good, but now, I am actually feeling that I'm missing out and instead of what I'd prefer, I have to go with something else instead because the variable font support ain't there. 

Until Serif finally decides to implement support for variable fonts (PLEASE!!!), you can use tools such as Slice (release builds are available for macOS and Windows) to create static and subset versions of variable fonts. Not ideal, but a potential workaround in the meantime.

• 2 months later...

+1 to this feature. Nowadays more and more fonts are providing variable styles. Especially free and open-source efforts such as many of Google Fonts' best typefaces. Even major browsers support variable styles, which makes their addition crucial for design apps.

Edited by My Lich