You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are you adding variable fonts anytime soon?

Just finished watching a WWDC session about the updates on Apple’s system font… they’re switching to a variable font file, and Im just wondering if I am going to be able to work with those new fonts once they’re released, on my iPad (and Mac). Are you guys planning to add variable font support?

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

• Staff

Hi @konstantnnn,

Apologies for the delayed response here. As far as I'm aware, we don't have any plans currently to support this format, however it's certainly something we'd like to look at for a future update :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

In the light of the upcoming changes to the Apple platforms, the request for variable font support seems to get more importance than it may have had in the past. I guess there will be a day when Apple decides to remove the current non-variable styles of their San Francisco UI fonts from the developers page and leave only the single variable font file for download. And when that happens, design applications that do not support variable fonts will be difficult to use for developing apps intended for the Apple ecosystem. So, in a way, I have the impression it would make sense to start looking into this. Big Sur isn’t so far away anymore. 😀

The fonts designer guy said « we will keep non-variable versions available for about two more years » on apple.com/fonts (the video is in the WWDC app)

I hope Affinity will get this sorted in two years :D

Vista PC in the attic 

It’s not just the Apple ecosystem. Bahnschrift is already quite well established on Windows 10, and now there’s Cascadia Code, too.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Oooh I remember playing with Bahnschrift and Myriad VAR on my version of Photoshop when they introduced Variable fonts in like 2017… good times

Vista PC in the attic 

• 2 months later...

If I understand this correcly there is no possibility to add some fonts in ttf format in Affinity as you add brushes?

I’m working with Affinity Photo and Designer at my iPad Pro 12”

Edited by Ashcat
Forget to mention the info I’am working with

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Ashcat said:

If I understand this correcly there is no possibility to add some fonts in ttf format in Affinity as you add brushes?

Variable fonts (being discussed above) are different from regular TTF font files. I can confirm that 'normal' TTF fonts can be used in Affinity, simply install the font through your OS and you'll find it is available to use in any Affinity app.

For more info, please see here  - https://affinity.serif.com/store/resources-install-guide/#content:~:text=iPad%3A-,Installing fonts,Alternatively%2C you can double click on the font you wish to install and choose Install Font in the resulting dialog.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Affinity - support for variable fonts seem to be the only major feature missing from Publishers. I have many static fonts but there is often a style I cannot get without the variable sliding bars that I use in Adobe. It is really a joy and flexibility to use and hopefully it will make its way to Affinity products soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of variable font support is the main reason I give when my Adobe-using colleagues ask if there are any problems migrating over.

If there were some "a bunch of people chip in £50 to Affinity to get this fixed", I'd be there with my card details. It's a real blocker to migration.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see support for variable fonts in AD as well. Today was the first time it was a necessity, but I expect this will become an increasing need.

There are now a significant number of variable fonts supported at Google Fonts and although the use of webfonts is somewhat unrelated, I expect this the use of variable fonts in the design sphere will become more prevalent being that they are now more widely available.

https://fonts.google.com/variablefonts

• 2 months later...

Voting here (in the Questions forum) does no good. The Feature Requests forum is where the planners look when planning new functions, and if voting is relevant anywhere that would be the place to vote.

However, I'm sure that voting on this one is also unnecessary. The need has been expressed many times, and (I'm sure) is understood by now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...

@jamessouttar, the post by Walt, immediately before yours, points out this is a questions forum. The proper place to vote support for features, is in the Features Request Forum.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD