You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

“Find and Replace” bug in Tables

Thanks for the instructions and sample file.

This gives me the opportunity to point out another bug that I intended to report previously, but probably didn't. I opened your file, and attempted to follow your instructions, but couldn't. When I click on the Formatting options for the Find field, and then on Paragraph Style, Header 3 is not one of my choices. I have only No Style, Header 1, Header 2, and something in Russian.

Publisher will only show me the full list of paragraph styles that have been used if I first open the Text Styles panel.

===
But back to your problem:

1.  I can confirm that Find shows "Bc |" in the results list (twice), but mistakenly highlights 2 rows of the table.
  2. Something you dd not mention: Pressing Find again does not advance to the next entry in the results list. That's also a problem.
  3. However, I do not get a crash when I press Replace. Instead, Publisher sets the paragraph text style for all the highlighted cells.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I have only No Style, Header 1, Header 2

And this is another bug. "Header 3" style does not show up in the "Replace" section, because it is a child style of Header 2. In Text styles studio try to choose "Show Hierarchical" option and then unroll parent style "Header 2" (by clicking on the triangle to the left). After this it should show up in “Find and Replace” studio.

21 minutes ago, aleale1 said:

I guess it is because your replace section is empty.

No, my replace section says to replace with Header 2, as your instructions said.

(Header 3 shows up in the Find options, as you instructed, but only if the Text Styles panel is open.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, aleale1 said:

To get a crash you should press "Replace ALL" instead of just "Replace".

Sorry, missed that nuance.

However, still no crash. And, to my surprise, with Replace All the replacement works properly and changes only the one cell in each table, not all the cells in both rows. The rows are improperly selected in the results, but with Replace All (unlike with Replace) only the proper cell in each table is changed; not all of them in both rows.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

The styles missing seem to be related to having "Show hierarchical" option ON in Styles Panel. 

Sorry, but no. (Or, really, yes and no.)

I do not usually have Show Hierarchical On in the Text Styles panel, and did not have it on this time.

For me, using the file in the first post in this topic:

1. If I open the file, and I do not have the Text Styles panel visible (or have not had it visible since I opened the file), I see this. Note that Header 3 is missing:
    image.png.54790ee9dc3b1dddabe41bb9fe6ce57e.png

This is consistent whether I have Show Hierarchical On or Off in the Text Style panel options. It is purely related to whether the Text Styles panel has been visible, or not.

2. On the other hand, if I have had the Text Styles panel visible since I opened the file, and I have Show Hierarchical Off, I see this:
    image.png.06087972488d48875f5c6d60238b280f.png

3. But, if I have had the Text Styles panel visible, and I have Show Hierarchical On, I see this (saif tme as 1 above):
    image.png.951613331a65f03b589faa166a72c6a8.png

So, you're right that there is an aspect of what shows up in the Paragraph Style options that is related to Show Hierarchical, and the display is wrong when Show Hierarchical is On.

However, the display is also wrong (regardless of Show Hierarchical) if I have never looked at the Text Styles panel since the file was opened. That is what I was referring to above. I had not noticed the additional bug related to Show Hierarchical.

-- Walt
PC: