You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer + Pantone TPG Color

Hello guys

I just have some questions. 

I know that affinity designer has Pantone Colors but I couldn't find Pantone TPG color which its for fashion home and interiors. 

so basically at the moment, affinity designer only offer few Pantone colors in software which its already given? impossible to added other Pantone Color charts?

also can Pantone color manager program can use on affinity designer ? as far as I know the program support only adobe and quark xpress.. 

if I can't use Pantone color manager or impossible to added Pantone TPG color chart.. I have to move to illustrator :(

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Pantone Color Manager should be usable with affinity designer- the problem is that

you will need to use the 'save' as opposed to the 'export' feature on the file

menu with sRGB selected. You will then need to use Excel to convert that file into

the form required by Designer by looking at the existing files as an example.

The problem is that looking at the directory c:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer\Resources\Pantone,

the comma separated value files have an unusual format and seem to all be in sRGB which assures

that the gamut is not adequate for many of the colors. To use Pantone Color Manager, you would ideally

be able to save using "color text" format, and then use Excel to parse out the saved file into a CSV file

that could then be saved in the directory I mentioned.

I wish that someone from Serif would document how the comma separated value file

created from the file Pantone Color Manager saves could be configured so Designer

would accept LAB values from Pantone Color Manager. This would to assure the most

accurate color rendition of Pantone spot colors.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:50 PM, bteifeld said:

Is anyone from serif alive and reading these forums?

I would appreciate a timely response to a very serious question that impacts

the color fidelity for brand color work using Affinity Designer.

They are active in these forums yes. They do not always get back to to you in the time you deem appropriate. 

I would be curious to know how TPG Pantone colours are used. They are certainly not a mainstream pantone colour used for print, at least in N. America.

The OP mentions use for home fashion and interiors. Do these TPG Pantones correlate with wall paint or certain coloured fabrics? Or is there a whole other segment I am missing here? I feel like it would be an incredibly small niche market that would want TPG Pantones, but that is based on knowing next to nothing about TPG. 

They are alive, and do read the forums, but they generally do not respond to feature requests. 

If a response is desired there is a much better chance of getting one in the Questions forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

They are alive, and do read the forums, but they generally do not respond to feature requests. 

If a response is desired there is a much better chance of getting one in the Questions forum.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

20 hours ago, wonderings said:

They are active in these forums yes. They do not always get back to to you in the time you deem appropriate. 

I would be curious to know how TPG Pantone colours are used. They are certainly not a mainstream pantone colour used for print, at least in N. America.

The OP mentions use for home fashion and interiors. Do these TPG Pantones correlate with wall paint or certain coloured fabrics? Or is there a whole other segment I am missing here? I feel like it would be an incredibly small niche market that would want TPG Pantones, but that is based on knowing next to nothing about TPG. 

TPG is for coatings on paper, TCX is for textiles, especially cotton. The Pantone color of the year is based on the Fashion Home Interiors color set, which applies to the TPG and TCX variants.

Check this page: https://www.pantone.com/color-systems/for-fashion-design

The practical reason why the TCX/TPX color sets are important is that entire industries inclusive of fashion and design and more base their product design and development on the Pantone color of the year. Pantone is not alone in this however- Color Marketing Group is another example, perhaps not as well known.

One additional note- Affinity applications accept ASE files. It is possible to save the fandeck

color information from Pantone Color Manager into an ASE file which can then be imported

as a palette into the swatches of an Affinity Application. You need to open Pantone Color Manager,

select the fandeck you want to turn into swatches, use the file-save as menu option, select "adobe

indesign" in the drop down below the filename in the file-save as dialogue. Next, you need to click

the button "color spaces" and ensure that only 'lab d50' is checked. Enter the filename, and click ok,

remembering where you saved the ASE file with the fandeck values. You use the swatches option

'import palette' to read in the ASE file you created with Pantone Color manager.