You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Raster trace engine , sorely needed

I know there have been multiple requests for a trace bitmap function but please let me weigh in on why this is vital for more than just vectoring an existing image. 

Affinity designers workflow is great, its fat light weight and allows for some great tools, However, i have quickly run into multiple problems.

if i want to mask a pattern to a vector group, lets say some damage, then  I can - but if i ever want a destructive output its impossible, and the layer must be converted into a raster, this is no good for multiple real world applications, and yes i'm aware i could do a boolean operation with each "layer" / object but when you have a lot of elements this is a massive pain, it would be much better to apply the mask then have the option to destructively re draw the elements - a fast way to do this would be to rasterize the layer as you can now, then apply a trace bitmap to the pixel layer result, drawing as meany "layers" / objects as necessary or grouping by colour (i mean creating layers from each colour making "compound style shapes"

If i want to apply a brush stroke to a vector curve, the brush stroke itself is raster not vector, again a Trace function would allow you to make raster brushes, apply them as a vector brush in a non destructive way, and when you are happy trace and output the result as a solid vector.

if i want to output in a format that should be vector - these types of elements are forced to be rasterized for various reasons, from a workflow perspective "non destructive" editing is excellent, but from an output perspective its very very limiting, unless everyone is using affinity, I have to export sections of work to a different program just to vectorize them to the re import into affinity if i want to use the workflow available in your apps, this is a monumental pain that has many factors that require trial and error to get right. 

for example if i take the brushstroke as an example, and apply this to text, with certain fonts and brushstrokes if i export and allow affinity to automatically rasterize, it can actually mess up the geometry - you have to rasterrize the layer before export. This is very annoying, although obviously not something that is intended.

I really like the Affinty workflow and have all 3 apps - but this function is sorely needed for many applications especially when alternatives can be very slow.

• 2 years later...

Being able to vectorize a bitmap like in illustrator or inkscape would be cool. It's a drag for now, because it's necessary to keep another application to be able to do it. When you have already drawn an illustration or a logo in Photo, for example, you don't want to start all over again in Designer. An automatic function that vectorizes the bitmap is very useful and necessary for certain works. Thanks a lot from France ! 😃

7 hours ago, Marie73 said:

because it's necessary to keep another application to be able to do it

It is also possible to use some online services that specialize in the vectorization of raster images and therefore provide quality outputs.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 1 year later...

GM form Germany - now it's 2024 and we still missing a vectoring function for trace a simple bitmap draw (... like a lineart for a comic maybe) .

Using a 3rd Party tool where i have to upload my creations to the internet 😞 -> no way ! Go back to Adobe is the worst case.  So i still use Inkscape but the resaults are not as good as i need it! So i still wait for an A-Designer funtion. Hope it will come! Regards SidRaven from Sidraven _NFTdeadpool-redraccon.afdesign