You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A Photo on PC: I'm sure I'm missing something and search hasn't helped me.

I make a gradient BG ie Blue to white on a diagonal. I want to modify it but the gradient wheel does not reember my last seeing or the setting on the layer I'm working on.

Swearing at the screen  has no effect. 🙄 What should I be doing so that I can modify my layer without starting the gradient from scratch?

It seems you need to apply the gradient to a vector object to keep it editable at later times.
In case of applying to a pixel layer the current UI appears neither to recognize the applied gradient (gradient tool and/or move tool) nor to allow to change one of its colors only (gradient tool).

1968377085_APhgradientpixellayer1.jpg.5a9b86120d8508a2b5b6a40336a0094f.jpg

1056560108_APhgradientpixellayer2.jpg.918085ac80714e093cdc12446e68fb67.jpg

1070804133_APhgradientvectorlayer.jpg.bc462fcf8ba0827aad5fdf836792ac15.jpg

This makes me wonder:
The gradient's blue applied to the pixel layer appears different to the same values applied to the vector layer? For both the cmyk slider was used with 100c 50m, the document is AdobeRGB.
• Any idea why or how this happens, and how to avoid it?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Layer > New Fill Layer

Will allow you to apply and modify the gradient at will

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Sounds like this is a Pixel layer, you only get the one chance with those. What I do is make a rectangle and use the Gradient tool on that, that way it is editable later. You may eventually have to rasterize it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Sounds like this is a Pixel layer,

Fill Layers are special magical layers created by unicorns

You can add a gradient to a Fill Layer, do some other stuff, then reselect the Fill Layer at any time and use the Gradient Tool to modify the previously created gradient

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

49 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Layer > New Fill Layer

Will allow you to apply and modify the gradient at will

Great hint, thank you! I haven't even noticed this option before, since it doesn't show up in the Layers Panel interface, where already Mask, Adjustment, Effect, Live Filter, Group and Pixel got an icon + button.

1772622923_APhFillLayericonmissing.jpg.86a61375345106a8ce767580f6ceecd5.jpg

Any idea why in this "layer panel's toolbar" is no Fill Layer icon / button, too? Just forgotten – or is there a purpose or advantage not to have it there?

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

Any idea why in this "layer panel's toolbar" is no Fill Layer icon / button, too? Just forgotten – or is there a purpose or advantage not to have it there?

You will need to ask the unicorns

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You will need to ask the unicorns

Are those lovely creatures responsible for the Fill Layer only – or would they also know why the UI makes me want to believe that here is no Fill applied yet to the selected pixel layer? :

APh gradient pixel layer 1.jpg

13 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Are those lovely creatures responsible for the Fill Layer only – or would they also know why the UI makes me want to believe that here is no Fill applied yet to the selected pixel layer? :

Pixel layers do not have a Fill. That's part of why they do not remember that they have a gradient, and what its settings are.

If you apply a gradient to a pixel layer you replace its contents with pixels that look like the gradient. But they are not a Fill; they are simply the layer's pixels.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Those pesky unicorns just mess with your mind sometimes

unicorns.png

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Pixel layers do not have a Fill. That's part of why they do not remember that they have a gradient, and what its settings are.

If you apply a gradient to a pixel layer you replace its contents with pixels that look like the gradient. But they are not a Fill; they are simply the layer's pixels.

So the term "Fill" in Affinity is limited in its meaning to vector objects?

– Unless the unicorns let me fill it with a bitmap, as in AD and APub ...

948571019_filltoolbitmap.jpg.7174dd7d95e2f688fd4d3536245ab286.jpg

22 minutes ago, DavidDoesAffinity said:

Thank you all for the explanations...and also why I need to source a Unicorn or two.

There’s a choice of two right here on these forums! :234_unicorn:  🦄

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

18 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

if you e.g. use C100 (other values zero): it is clearly G255 B255

Isn’t RGB(0,255,255) out of gamut for CMYK? Although we call it ‘cyan’ I don’t think we should expect it to look the same as CMYK(100,0,0,0). It’s the same the other way around: CMYK(0,100,100,0) is red, but it doesn’t necessarily look the same as RGB(255,0,0).

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Lagarto said:

Yes, but that's the color that is clearly shows. It should not (and does not, if you use any other tool).

I see what you mean now! Thanks for the clarification.

Alfred spacer.png