You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linking graphics between Designer files

Hi,

Newby here: I am making a storyboard using several dozen different files based on the same template. Each file is created in Designer. I save each file separately. Is there a way of making global changes without having to change each file individually?

I want to change the colour palette for the template but it is really time consuming to change each file individually. I would like to be able to link elements based on the the template and then just make one change, rather like the way the Master Page does it in Publisher.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I don't think there's any way to accomplish what you want, except manually changing each file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the suggestion but I figured it out and on the off-chance that anyone has the same problem - make the storyboards as  a number of artboards within the same file and use Symbols to change elements throughout. Simple!

On 7/10/2020 at 12:19 PM, wislon said:

I want to change the colour palette for the template but it is really time consuming to change each file individually.

2 hours ago, wislon said:

I figured it out (...) use Symbols to change elements throughout. Simple!

You are able to transfer a custom colour palette between documents via Symbols? – If yes: would you mind to share your workflow?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

14 hours ago, wislon said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I figured it out and on the off-chance that anyone has the same problem - make the storyboards as  a number of artboards within the same file and use Symbols to change elements throughout. Simple!

Yes, that will work.

However, if you're going to use artboards within the same document, you could also use global colors, in a document palette, and assign those global colors to your elements. Then you can simply modify the colors in the palette, and any elements with those colors will change.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, wislon said:

Not quite...I am using artboards within the same document.

So you changed the entire workflow? – and don't use several files any more, as initially mentioned:

On 7/10/2020 at 12:19 PM, wislon said:

several dozen different files based on the same template. Each file is created in Designer. I save each file separately. Is there a way of making global changes (...) change the colour palette

As @walt.farrell pointed out a palette of global colors would solve the problem within one document, without the need to use Symbols at all. That makes me wonder ...

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1