You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving of selections during creation no longer possible

It is about a (for me) very popular function. It is no longer possible to move a selection (e.g. a rectangle selection) during creation.
I don't know when this stopped working but it has been like this for quite a while.

19 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Are you dragging out the selection with the Rectangular Marquee Tool and then trying to drag the selection with the same tool still enabled?
Can you record a video for me please? 

Thanks, @Chris B. Perhaps my question was not precise enough.

I don't think we need a video. Try this:

1. Create a rectangle selection (Don't let go of the mouse.).
  2. Press the space bar and keep dragging the mouse.

Expected: The unfinished selection moves.
Result: Nothing happens.

5 minutes ago, Michail said:

I don't think we need a video

We need a video

Why are you pressing the space bar?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 minutes ago, carl123 said:

We need a video
Why are you pressing the space bar?

A video doesn't make sense, @carl123, because nothing happens. I could make a video of me pressing the space bar 😎.

The space bar allows you to move the selection if it is not yet complete. Try it in Photoshop and you'll know what I mean. It used to work in APh too.

To move a selection (marching ants) you just move your cursor inside the selection and move it, after you have drawn it.

I don't ever remember it working differently

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 minutes ago, carl123 said:

To move a selection (marching ants) you just move your cursor inside the selection and move it, after you have drawn it.

I know ...

7 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I don't ever remember it working differently

I can't prove it ...

I just tried it in AP 1.7 and AP 1.6 and the space bar does nothing there as well

But it would make a good feature request.

i.e. To be able to move your initial selection, using the space bar, then continue dragging it out

4 hours ago, Michail said:

It is about a (for me) very popular function. It is no longer possible to move a selection (e.g. a rectangle selection) during creation.
I don't know when this stopped working but it has been like this for quite a while.

I've just tried this in 1.8.3 and it's working OK for me...

* Drag a rectangle out

* Hold spacebar

* Move mouse, the new object moves position

2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Drag a rectangle out

Yes, it works with a Rectangle (shape)

But not a rectangular selection (marquee) which is what we are discussing here

Isn't it ?

Hello @Michail,
the selection can only be moved, if the New option is activated.

Cheers

Auswahl.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

7 hours ago, Michail said:

Try this:

1. Create a rectangle selection (Don't let go of the mouse.).
  2. Press the space bar and keep dragging the mouse.

I don't think it has ever been like this in Affinity Photo.

It works like this in Adobe Photoshop, but not in Affinity Photo.  There have been quite a few feature requests over the years for it to work like this though.

56 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Yes, we noticed it was possible in Photoshop. I found a few feature requests on the forum to so it does seem like it has never been a feature in Photo.

Thanks a lot @Chris B and everybody, for the posts. It seems like I was just imagining it. I'm clearly working with too many different programs 🤔.
Is it conceivable that this functionality will be implemented in the near future? There don't seem to be many people who know this feature (e.g. in PS), let alone miss it.

• Staff
On 7/13/2020 at 10:50 AM, Michail said:

Is it conceivable that this functionality will be implemented in the near future?

I would not pin your hopes on it. There was a discussion on this and because we can move it once it has been dragged out, there isn't a general feeling that this needs to be changed so that we can mvoe it during an initial drag.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

I would not pin your hopes on it. There was a discussion on this and because we can move it once it has been dragged out, there isn't a general feeling that this needs to be changed so that we can mvoe it during an initial drag.

You end up with soft edges if you resize the marquee afterwards.

You have to use the rectangle/ellipse tools instead.  However, this means users have to use the rectangle/ellipse tools with 0% opacity fill, position it where it's required, change to 100% opacity fill, then either CTRL + click the thumbnail in the layers panel to get the selection, or use it as a vector mask directly.

As a tool maker, if you want to make the marquee selection tools more usable, allowing spacebar to move the selection should also be possible.  It should be possible for the user to zoom in close, align one part of the marquee selection tool using the spacebar, then dragging to expand the selection.  Or in the case of selecting something like a pupil/iris of an eye, or wheels/tyres of a vehicle, switching between spacebar (to move) and dragging (to resize) a few times while keeping the left mouse button pressed.

Using quick mask to resize selections is also prone to crashing.

001.thumb.png.23075f241ce29ab38afefb0b1b1c295d.png

002.thumb.png.fe269eadb16f23eec75b81afd8c750ab.png

1 hour ago, - S - said:

You end up with soft edges if you resize the marquee afterwards.

You have to use the rectangle/ellipse tools instead.  However, this means users have to use the rectangle/ellipse tools with 0% opacity fill, position it where it's required, change to 100% opacity fill, then either CTRL + click the thumbnail in the layers panel to get the selection, or use it as a vector mask directly.

As a tool maker, if you want to make the marquee selection tools more usable, allowing spacebar to move the selection should also be possible.  It should be possible for the user to zoom in close, align one part of the marquee selection tool using the spacebar, then dragging to expand the selection.  Or in the case of selecting something like a pupil/iris of an eye, or wheels/tyres of a vehicle, switching between spacebar (to move) and dragging (to resize) a few times while keeping the left mouse button pressed.

You read my mind! :D

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

... and because we can move it once it has been dragged out, there isn't a general feeling that this needs to be changed so that we can mvoe it during an initial drag.

This is not the same and not very efficient as an alternative. This becomes even clearer than with the rectangle selection when using the selection ellipse. Try creating an ellipse so that the size and position are correct - around a person's head, for example. You will not succeed. Size and/or position must be corrected later. To do this, you have to switch to mask mode in a cumbersome way and select a different tool.

With the method I mentioned you could achieve the exact position and size right away.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for this.

I was just working in Photo and my Photoshop muscle memory took over (as it often does) and it took me several moments to realize I hadn't gone crazy. Very handy and time saving for getting just the right selection without having to drop, move, add, subtract, redraw, etc.