You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SLOG photo automatically colored when imported

I have been messing around with shooting in SLOG (I never have before) and expected it to be desaturated just like the original. When it opened in the develop persona, it was completely colored. Is there a way to open it in affinity without that happening?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Pike11. :)

Having quickly read a little about what S-Log is, my best guess is that you’re seeing the effect of the default ‘Apply tone curve’ option in the Develop persona in Affinity Photo. Try clicking the Develop Assistant button on the toolbar and changing the tone curve setting to ‘Take no action’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for the suggestion. However, it doesn't seem to have worked. Here is a screenshot of the raw file. You can see how desaturated it is from shooting in that picture profile. Next is a screenshot of the picture loaded in the develop persona without me doing anything. It's darker and much more saturated.

1.png

2.png

Hmm ... ever so slightly different! Your second example is what I would expect with a tone curve applied.

Over to the Sony experts out there, methinks. I don’t even shoot raw, so I’m not exactly well placed to offer any other potentially helpful suggestions.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Pike11 You probably need to define how you are viewing the “raw file” in the rendering that looks low contrast, like a log-encoded image typically looks. Is that a camera JPEG?  The raw file should be raw, without encoding, but may have a tag that is read by some viewers or converters to render it with log encoding.  I do not know specifically how Sony might do this  

You can create an SLog RGB file in AP by rendering the raw file to a 32 bit RGB file with no tone curve (linear output) and then using an OCIO adjustment layer to transform the linear file to SLog. That will give you the starting point It sounds like you are looking for. 

Kirk