You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to export drop shadow only?

Hello im new here. And fairly new to Affinity. 

I make a rounded rectangle which i send over to OBS to apply a rounded camera look to a camera i use. But i also want to give it a dropshadow 

Since i have already set everything up without the shadow i decided to go this route of making a new rounded rectangle, adding offset outer shadow from the effects to the rectangle. Im getting exactly what i was looking for BUT i want to export ONLY the shadow. Is there a way to hide the giant rectangle and export only the effect? 

In Photoshop yes, Affinity as far as I know does not have layer fill opacity control so no. They have shape opacity, and layer opacity, but not layer fill opacity.

In Photoshop you can have the image/shape hidden and only show the effect, but effect control is very limited in Affinity.

4 minutes ago, softsound said:

In Photoshop yes, Affinity as far as I know does not have layer fill opacity control so no. They have shape opacity, and layer opacity, but not layer fill opacity.

imu2j0om.png.fd1bd341e8046841f50d7dd9c58bc2d0.png

It's just in a different position. In this respect, affinity is much stronger than PS.

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

That is just effect fill opacity @Aftemplate not layer fill opacity. Photoshop has effect fill as well, they just call it opacity in the effect window.

If you can pull off the effect though I would impressed.

I suppose you can just reverse it by starting with a gradient transparent blur and cutting out the shape though that's the closest thing I could think of, but it's a lot more work.

Example.JPG

8 minutes ago, softsound said:

That is just opacity @Aftemplate not fill opacity.

If you can pull off the effect though I would impressed.

I suppose you can just reverse it by starting with a gradient transparent blur and cutting out the shape though.

Example.JPG

I know PS and affinity photos well.
This opacity
and fill opacity.
In both areas,
Affinity Photos with PS,
The results of the behavior are 100% consistent.

I've done rigorous test comparisons in the past.

1.8.4+

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

I figured it out. Turns out my studio had unwanted adjustments made to it... oops. 

So what i did

> round rectangle
> add outer shadow with offset
> at the top of the right side studio is FILL OPACITY 
> turn FILL OPACITY to 0% 

And now i have the shadow of a rounded rectangle without the rounded rectangle. Thanks guys! 

Annotation 2020-07-09 214339.jpg

Edited by elmuerto
add image

I'm glad you were able to work it out. Yeah, looks like I was wrong, sorry, cool though, I'm glad I learned something too. So they do have the same functionally. I thought I tried that before and didn't have it work earlier but it seems to work for me now. :)