You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: .mobi and other ebook export

I'll preface this by saying I haven't even used Publisher yet. Just downloaded and am excited to start using based on my experience with Photo and Designer. With that said I don't see this listed as an export option and I think it could really help separate you from Adobe products. Export to the .mobi extension so that we can publish ebooks to Amazon. It would also behoove you to create an ePub export as well. The future is interactive design, I hope Affinity sees this and adds interactive export, ePub and .mobi support (especially .mobi as there is no good way to design ebooks for sale on Amazon currently). 

Thanks!

I've published a few books on Amazon and yes, I think these are nice additions but Amazons book format tools work well enough, have you not been using that? I've used them on picture books I've exported from Affinity Publisher to use on Kindle and it seems to work okay. It should be even be better for books without pictures. So if you are using the KDP system it should work fine, you can upload PDF's and not run into too many issues... Though it can be a very slow process.
Although, it would be nice to get these formats, I don't think affinity has any plans to have them in soon.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:29 AM, softsound said:

I've used them on picture books I've exported from Affinity Publisher to use on Kindle and it seems to work okay. It should be even be better for books without pictures.

Books without pictures should generally be formatted as reflowable and then DOCX file is the starting point, not Publisher file or PDF.

• 4 months later...

If Publisher could compete with Vellum for ebook formatting it would snag a large number of self-published authors that don't use Apple. Vellum refuses to make their application available to Windows users. Yes, there are converters and other tools for turning docx into an ebook, but none of them allow for ease of customization like Vellum does. Publisher already has a lot of the tools, it just needs an ebook export option built in.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, Fixx said:

Books without pictures should generally be formatted as reflowable and then DOCX file is the starting point, not Publisher file or PDF.

I agree. As a frequent Kindle reader, I don't buy Kindle books if they are fixed-layout. Simple books such as novels should be reflowable and respect the readers ability to chose the format (one of the reasons a reader might choose eReader over print). Graphic-intensive books, on the other hand, are better suited to other media. I tend toward traditional print for such.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:42 AM, Fixx said:

DOCX has pages of specific sizes and is thus natively more like a fixed layout as well, so is not the best choice for this either.  More likely something like HTML or Markdown.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

DOCX has pages of specific sizes and is thus natively more like a fixed layout as well, so is not the best choice for this either.  More likely something like HTML or Markdown.

Many tools like Jutoh use DOCX as starting point and very easily import DOCX to reflowable container. Thus it does not matter – page based layout is ignored on import.