You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text not being converted to curves..

If I use the "Embed Fonts: Text as curves" option on export on any of the Affinity suite, sometimes (and I don't understand why) the text is actually converted to an image instead of being converted to curves. This seems to happen randomly. I can get around this by pre-converting all text to curves on the Layers menu but it's useful to just convert to curves on export only instead of converting outside export. I just did this for a whole A4 advert (loads of text) and then saved it accidentally. Luckily I could undo it but if I d have walked away and forgotten, I'd have been screwed!

Can anyone tell me why this happens?

3 hours ago, homeyJay said:

Can anyone tell me why this happens?

Just a guess but.... are you using any FXs?
Everything except Outer Shadow and Outer Glow will result in total text rasterization. In the "outer" cases just the FX will be rasterized but the text should remain text... or curves.

Other than that, your export settings might help. Or a sample file.

No, I've just sorted it out!

I have no idea why but there was something about the text frames in this document that were causing the text to be rasterised on export! I honestly can't understand why but the frame was an odd shape (what I needed) and started life as a distorted rectangle which was then converted into a text frame. For some reason, when I poured text into it and exported it, all the text kept getting rasterised. No idea why. I deleted the text frames, created them again using the same method and it's all fine now. Just some weird sh*t going on but I spent a whole day chasing this.. :x

16 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Just a guess but.... are you using any FXs?
Everything except Outer Shadow and Outer Glow will result in total text rasterization. In the "outer" cases just the FX will be rasterized but the text should remain text... or curves.

Other than that, your export settings might help. Or a sample file.

Thanks for this. Loads of work that I'm doing always involves outlines and drop shadows. How are you supposed to work to print quality using these?

Right now if I put any FX on any text, the printed output looks like a dog's dinner. I'm struggling with putting a .2pt stroke around a headline and adding some drop shadow to it. I've tried duplicating the layer and making the one underneath black and resizing so it's slightly bigger but it's damn-near impossible to get the effect a stroke to look uniform.

Does anyone have any work-arounds for this issue?

OK, figured this out for anyone that may experience the same issue. 

Stoke in the separate panel (View --> Studio-->Stroke) is NOT the same as Outline in the FX panel. I've been using both assuming that they are just 2 paths to getting to the same thing but they are NOT!

Text that uses a stroke in the stroke panel will be converted perfectly to curves when output to a pdf.

Test that uses the Outline option in the FX panel will be rasterised on export to a pdf at the resolution set at document creation.

I'm sure that it's explained clearly somewhere but I've not noticed it. Anyway, hope this helps someone if they've been having the same issues!