You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher not honouring groups / layers on export

This is proving a bit of a deal breaker for me as I'm having to go back to using illustrator again. 

If I group all red objects / text in one layer, all blue objects / text in another layer etc, when I export to PDF and choose 'keep layers', none of the groups are honoured. Everything is just a mess and I have to go back and group them all again. This takes a long time to do as sometimes I have to deal with well over 100 layers / groups. The frustrating thing is that even after I've re-grouped all the objects & text in colours, there's no way to just save the pdf again without re-exporting the document and guess what happens to all my newly created groups on export? Yup, Publisher rips them all apart again and chucks every thing all over the layers pallet.

Not happy at having to go back to Adobe but there you have it. 

2 hours ago, homeyJay said:

So, what exactly does the 'save layers' button do?

"Include Layers" include the layers, although not mentioned in the help section. So I don't know why this is a missing feature?

But there are layers (elements) and layers (layers). Sounds funny, but it is like that. If you want to preserve layers in the PDF, hit the "Add Layer" button at the bottom of the Layers panel. By doing so a layer appears in the Layers panel with the description (layer). Now move your elements you want to have in a "layer" into this layer. If you export with "Include Layers" you'll see the layer in Acrobat.

Maybe it is misleading, that we are talking about layers in the Layers panel being not layers, but elements and having layers that are layers by description visible by the text in brackets. Argggghh. Sorry for my crude English, but I don't know how to express better.

EDIT: Perhaps this gets clearer with the attached files?

Layers.jpg

Layers2.jpg

Layers.afpub Layers.pdf

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, homeyJay said:

I think this reply made my head explode...

Every object is in its own layer. A set of layers that you've grouped can be operated on all at once, but the Group is not a layer, and so is not saved in a PDF by the "include layers" option.

There is also a special kind of layer known as a Layer (capital L). The purpose of a Layer is to hold other layers. In a way, you can think of it as working like a Group, but it is different.

You create a Layer by using the Add Layer icon in the Layers panel (see below) or Layer > New Layer from the menu, and when you have one it will show in the Layers panel as a (Layer). My guess (and it is purely a guess) is that "include layers" may end up retaining Layers (capital L) that you have in your project. And, if that is true, rather than grouping your objects you should add a Layer and move them into it.

image.png.83d5865be9ddba5ca72acd47f824e2ef.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

OK, thanks guys but none of this seems to work properly!

If I create a new layer via add layer and drag some shapes into it and then choose the layers option on export, those objects show up in their own separate layer in the pdf. However, if I drag any text into a layer created by 'add layer', the layer does appear separate in the pdf but for some reason, it drops the layer name and calls the layer 'image' and inside it is the text, now called 'curves'. It's not fab because usually you'd do this to call the layer something like 'gold text' or 'left hand text' or something useful like that! I can't rename the layer because exporting to pdf drops the layer names again..

15 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

"Include Layers" include the layers, although not mentioned in the help section. So I don't know why this is a missing feature?

But there are layers (elements) and layers (layers). Sounds funny, but it is like that. If you want to preserve layers in the PDF, hit the "Add Layer" button at the bottom of the Layers panel. By doing so a layer appears in the Layers panel with the description (layer). Now move your elements you want to have in a "layer" into this layer. If you export with "Include Layers" you'll see the layer in Acrobat.

Maybe it is misleading, that we are talking about layers in the Layers panel being not layers, but elements and having layers that are layers by description visible by the text in brackets. Argggghh. Sorry for my crude English, but I don't know how to express better.

EDIT: Perhaps this gets clearer with the attached files?

Layers.afpub 1.72 MB · 0 downloads Layers.pdf 1.68 MB · 0 downloads

This is yet again a classic example of a bad and misleading Affinity ux, sadly.

"Layers" and "layers" - erm! Just renaming "layers" to objects would do the trick and clear the confusion easily.

15 hours ago, homeyJay said:

I think this reply made my head explode...

And you're not alone. Serif should really do something about this.