You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text appears light on some pages when exported

Without a sample AF document, we will just be guessing

Can you copy a few pages (some good, some bad) to a new document and upload to this forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Seems to be that some kind of effect is applied on the lighter pages, because the text is rasterized.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I did not download your .afpub, maybe my finds in the PDF are informative enough for you to fix your issue:

• Page 30/31 is rasterized. This alone leads to a different appearance, which also changes depending on the zoom level.
• Body-Text on page 28/29 appears to have assigned a stroke of 0.5 pt with no stroke color. In purpose? Is it the same for all texts?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

All text shows in afpub as Helvetica Neue light 10 pt. Don't understand how it could be rasterised. I have picked up that the text is CMYK rather than 100 K which I'm fixing.

Text on 28-29 has no stroke in afpub so don't understand how it could have in the PDF. Even so if it has no stroke color I wouldn't think that would have any affect??

It seems you did not take care well for your layers panel, there the layer hierarchy might not be what you actually want to achieve.

• The rasterization & the enlightment is both caused by an adjustment layer which is positioned in the layers panel to affect all layers below – which is the entire page content, one text frame excepted:

1733448184_apublayersconfusion1-adjustmentontop.jpg.6ad6afb0d9d9191cda85287b6483d48e.jpg

• Not relevant for the current issue mentioned above but also not useful or "healthy": A lot of content is placed inside the master layer on the document pages. To move it out from this layer right-click the master layer > "Edit detached" > select the according layers and move them.

2008161793_apublayersconfusion2-contentinmaster.jpg.af36efd76523f2d4405c4308f5ed705d.jpg

Not really the Photo Persona in this case. Note that Adjustment Layers may be set in any of the 3 Affinity apps, so in Publisher Persona, too.

Since you can fix here the text-rasterize-issue with an according layer arrangement you might rather visit tutorials about layers, in particular about the 2-3 ways to use nested layers. Roughly spoken you define the area for a adjustment layer by moving it inside the wanted picture layer, or inside a "(Group)" layer which may contain various layers. For instance...

1. Your current layer setup ...
(I changed the blend mode of your adjustment layer to make its reaction area more obvious)

1700304200_adjustmentlayerabove.jpg.94123485d2e2633d88846d412f9aefd0.jpg

2. ... and the moved adjustment layer, limited to affect one image only:
(therefore I moved the according picture frame out of the master layer)

1925379391_adjustmentlayernested.jpg.98e3c255619a602a02857e666009a78a.jpg

Compare the colored margin stripes. Initially, the entire page is affected, including these real master page objects.

Just one possible tutorial about adjustment layering:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/301823247/

• 3 years later...

I've also run into this issue when the problematic adjustment layers exist solely in an Affinity Photo file that I've placed in my document. It took a little trial an error to find it, but it turns out that the rasterization of the text on one page of my document was due to the adjustment layers in the placed Affinity Photo file not being specific to any particular layer in that file and, apparently, were being applied to parts of my document without realizing it. It never occurred to me that Affinity Publisher would treat the photo file as anything other than a flat image, leaving the adjustments entirely "inside" the photo file, if you take my meaning.

Edited by jrwatson

6 hours ago, jrwatson said:

I've also run into this issue when the problematic adjustment layers exist solely in an Affinity Photo file that I've placed in my document. It took a little trial an error to find it, but it turns out that the rasterization of the text on one page of my document was due to the adjustment layers in the placed Affinity Photo file not being specific to any particular layer in that file and, apparently, were being applied to parts of my document without realizing it. It never occurred to me that Affinity Publisher would treat the photo file as anything other than a flat image, leaving the adjustments entirely "inside" the photo file, if you take my meaning.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

That sounds like a bug, so if you have that file, or can reproduce in a sample file that you can share, it would be useful to see it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That sounds like a bug, so if you have that file, or can reproduce in a sample file

Attached a V1 example, it is not the same situation but shows an example of unexpected rasterization caused by a nested layer affecting more than its parent.

effect layer issue V1.afpub . effect layer issue V1.pdf

Not only APub announces "Nothing will get rasterized" with preset "PDF (for print)", also the exported PDF got entirely rasterized in full page size and affects text below AND above the Group that contains the affecting filter layer.

effectlayerissueV1afpub.thumb.jpg.baad023e92b7d567fed89ad03175be5f.jpgeffectlayerissueV1pdf.thumb.jpg.c43368df7cc11e5fe21047c415fba56c.jpg

Creating an example forced me to more clearly identify some specific contexts for the issue. I'm working in Affinity Photo and Publisher version 2.3.0 for MacOS. Attached files include the document file, linked photo, and example .pdf of what I'm seeing. Essentially what I discovered was that in the attached doc's current form, exporting to pdf using the "Digital (small size)" preset, the body text on page 3 (ignore the page # settings) is rasterized, though the other text is not. Do any one of the following and the rasterization goes away:

1. Remove the "Title Page" text that is on top of the image (note the live effects applied to the text)

2. Remove the image entirely

3. Move the adjustment layers in the image file to apply only to the background layer
e.g. change this:
image.png.a18ab830bae335b7907f903784dec272.png

To this:
image.png.bff0f54f35347174565cb0ce1f0ce043.png

Does that help?

-j

rasterization_example.afpub rasterization_example.pdf rhubarb in ground.afphoto

• Staff

Many thanks for the sample files and further information provided @jrwatson!

I can confirm I've been able to replicate this issue here and I'm getting it logged with our development team now.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!