You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Below is a response from Serif Developer Dave Harris in regard to the ability to see a font missing from your computer as it should appear when opening a PSD file...

"I'm afraid we don't attempt to support embedded fonts at the moment, so you will need to have the fonts installed."

This seems like a significant problem to me. There is simply no way I can have every font installed on my system I may need to cover every file I may receive from clients in the future. At least I knew Could open a PDF in Photoshop and see what the layout is suppose to look like. See the font as it should be. I knew I could to open that PDF in Illustrator a choose to have it open with the fonts outlined so the customers layout remained unchanged by a substituted font.

Can Affinity Designer covert fonts to curves when opening a file with missing fonts?

​Will Affinity Photo be able to display files with missing fonts accurately at some point in the future?

In a perfect world all clients would provide files with fonts outlined or would have access to the fonts that were used. Most of the time they don't. In a perfect world the missing font needed to fix a $30 job wouldn't cost $199.

If I need to have every font I may ever have to deal with installed on my computer in order to have files display with out substituting fonts, then Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer just got waaaay more expensive than any Adobe software.

I'm sorry. We do plan to import PDF embedded fonts, but realistically it is probably over a year away - far enough that I have no real idea of what the schedule for it is. Converting fonts to curves isn't any easier than supporting them properly. We would like to do it earlier, but we have so much other stuff to do also. When it gets added, it'll be added to all our (then current) Affinity apps, including Photo.

Thank you for the forthright response Dave. No need at all for an apology. I know you and your team have a tremendous amount of work to do. No one wants Affinity to succeed more than I do and I look forward to the day when I can replace my Adobe products.

• 11 months later...

Hi!

Is there any news on this? As a developer I bought Affinity Photo to be able to ditch Adobe. However I still get design files send (PSD's) with fonts not installed on my system. Photoshop will preview these fonts regardlessly.

I really hope this preview functionality will get be implemented, since now I still need Photoshop.

Thanks!

Actually there is no software available that can USE embedded fonts. Adobe Acrobat used to do it but feature was removed after v. 5.0 (for copyright reasons I guess). Even having right fonts installed editing a PDF is hit and miss process as Acrobat may find issues in matching installed and embedded versions. 

That Affinity apps fail to present placed PDFs with right font/kerning is different issue (that should be corrected soon). If Affinity really will be able to edit PDFs using embedded fonts that will be extraordinary feat.

OP probably knows there is no way to avoid font issues when editing foreign files. You either get the right font (or borrow it from the originator) or substitute it with passable available type.

Edit: I looked how Designer opens PDFs. Very well I found out. I have version 1.41 installed and it reported missing fonts dutifully and let me replace them with other versions.

• 1 year later...
On 7/12/2016 at 3:11 PM, Fixx said:

Actually there is no software available that can USE embedded fonts.

?

Even Mac OS preview shows embedded fonts on PSD's. I really would like this feature. Still need to use Photoshop or save the file to a jpg / png from Mac Preview. This is clumsy for professional use on making websites.

2 hours ago, Jack70 said:

Even Mac OS preview shows embedded fonts on PSD's.

Maybe I have misunderstood what you mean, but Preview.app rasterizes PSD's. So in effect there are no fonts, embedded or otherwise, in what it shows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Jack70 said:

?
Even Mac OS preview shows embedded fonts on PSD's. I really would like this feature. Still need to use Photoshop or save the file to a jpg / png from Mac Preview. This is clumsy for professional use on making websites.

I meant there are no app (at least for OSX, but I have heard PC platform may have some..) where text editing using embedded fonts is possible. All PDF enabled apps show of course embedded fonts (usually) fine, but AD tries to make PDF editable and discards fonts. There really should be a difference between placing a PDF (passthrough) and opening a PDF (open as editable AD document). At the moment there seem to be no such difference. Using embedded fonts in editable version would be welcome bonus. Also, there are different kind of rights that font vendor can encode to a font file.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Maybe I have misunderstood what you mean, but Preview.app rasterizes PSD's. So in effect there are no fonts, embedded or otherwise, in what it shows.

I think Preview does not really rasterize but displays PDF with fonts as it is (you may think that monitor displays rasterized image if you wish). Also when you print from Preview it sends postscript to a printer (or to a printer driver at least if printer is not postscript enabled) and you may think postscript driver rasterizes fonts in printing process.

On 7/12/2016 at 6:11 AM, Fixx said:

Actually there is no software available that can USE embedded fonts. ...

Adobe Acrobat used to do it but feature was removed after v. 5.0 (for copyright reasons I guess). ...

Well, there is at least one, XDP, that uses the embedded fonts...when one attempts to open a PDF with missing fonts, one is greeted with:

capture-001579.png.baec1299bbeef0bb6a014ff93c0569f8.png

And after clicking OK...

capture-001580.png.92b035ca7ca52a06ecc4a86221c6d43d.png

It will always depend upon how the PDF was created (as that affects the embedding of fonts and/or how they are encoded). I rarely have issues.

Mike

Thank you for your replies. Well as long we can see the fonts, rasterized or not to cut stuff out and save it as a png or something. When the fonts - used in a PSD - are not available on the computer, they now immediately get replaced, which messes up a design. It would help a lot to process a PSD for web or apps, because unfortunately the larger part of designers still use Adobe.

This issue is for me and some other designers and developers I know the only issue to be able to replace Adobe.

• 1 year later...

Any news? 

If you go here: https://www.photopea.com/ you can find a free software (running on your browser) with *.PSD support and this tool (created by ONE person in JavaScript) can display text with missing fonts.

In Affinity Photo I can unset "Import PSD text as text rather then bitmap" but then I can't see text details or copy that text. I think that Affinity should has disabled that option BEFORE user select Text Tool and automatic enabled when user will click on that text with that tool (automatic replacement PSD bitmap by real text).

Affinity (paid software created by professional company):

affinity.thumb.png.ddab09f136155ec4b92d7d8da580fee5.png

Photopea (free tool in browser created by one person):

photopea.thumb.png.115b1142ae65ea16f2e5020cae4c6432.png