You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just wondering if there is a logical reason why Affinity Software doesn't recognise the palette name if the palette is renamed in the finder on macOS. It seems that the palette name created with any Affinity software is embedded in the file itself and so subsequently isn't updated when changed in the finder which means it is only possible to change the name within Affinity software.

No biggy but just curious to understand whether this is by design?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Where are these palette files located on your Mac? Are they System color palettes (should have a .clr extension & appear in the Affinity Swatches panel with an Apple logo) or exported Application palettes (should have an .afpalette extension & appear in the Affinity Swatches panel with an Affinity logo)?

6 hours ago, Hangman said:

It seems that the palette name created with any Affinity software is embedded in the file itself and so subsequently isn't updated when changed in the finder which means it is only possible to change the name within Affinity software.

From what i can tell, for Application palettes the name is embedded in the *.afpalette file & once added to the Swatches panel, it does not matter if I rename it in Finder, or for that matter if I rename it in one of the Affinity apps.

System color palette files (the ones with a .clr extension) do not have an embedded palette name. They cannot be renamed in any Affinity app, & probably should not be renamed even if they are in a folder where a user has permissions to do that, so for example not in any *.clr files in System/Library/Colors where system-level R/W access would be required.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

These were simply document palette's .afpalette files exported onto an internal hard drive from any of the apps. I just happened to rename one in the finder and then re-import it which is when I noticed that the imported palette maintained it's original name rather than the new name I'd given it.

I guess it makes sense having the palette name embedded in the file as testing a .ase palette which doesn't, simply names the imported palette 'Colour Group 1' which results in renaming it anyway once imported.

I was just curious as to why the format doesn't adopt the filename itself in a similar fashion to any other renamed file but then I don't know that much about the logic of colour palettes in that respect.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

28 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I was just curious as to why the format doesn't adopt the filename itself in a similar fashion to any other renamed file but then I don't know that much about the logic of colour palettes in that respect.

The file names you see in Finder & other Mac apps are part of the metadata stored in the file system, not in the file itself. If the file has an embedded name (not all do), it is a separate entity. In general, changing the file system file name has no effect on a name embedded in the file & visa versa.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7