You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help Please Frame problems

Thank you Wosven it was a good guess.

I found the answer to this after a great deal of digging, it's the "Insets" that for some unknown reason had been set wrongly as too large and this setting was acting as a default.

This is something that is beginning to look like a problem, it's started again with all new frames I  draw, as the picture shows below, but there is no sign of any indication of the problem in the inset setting. Is this a Windows problem perhaps?

Ash_002_.png

Ash_005_.png

I think there are other settings besides Insets that can cause that.

It would be easiest to figure out if you were to provide a sample .afpub file where it's happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, jrkay said:

Only trouble Walt is that it's over 2Mb in size and it has only started to happen on page 46, it was fine before. It could be too large.

Wood_1.afpub 2.28 MB · 0 downloads

What you have is a Column Width of 0 inches.

1902409165_ScreenShot2020-07-08at1_14_44PM.png.b74b9623738d4127b766be4655ce8b96.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

This hasn't really sorted itself, I work on Windows 7 and this problem has persisted, I usually use CTRL C and CTRL V to populate my text boxes as I have in the top frame, in the lower frame, as soon as I have created the frame I try to write the same word and look what happens. I include the part of the Text Frame dialog to show that the size of column is correct. This at the front of a 67 page document.

Can anyone suggest what is happening please.

John

Ash_001_.png

Can you supply the current version of the file, again? (At least the page with the misbehaving frame?)

In any case, there are Spacing options in the Paragraph panel that might affect this, and Positioning and Transform options in the Character Panel that might affect it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Sorry, @jrkay, but I would need a .afpub file, not an exported PDF. You can save a copy of the file, then delete the other pages, then save a copy again, and attach that.

-- Walt
PC:

Thomaso, I cannot thank you enough, this has been bugging me for a good long time and now you have made life a lot simpler for me. The differences between Publisher and PagePlus have made adopting the new program into a steep learning curve and you have helped me a great deal.

Thanks again it's great to be able to depend on the solid help of the forum.

John

jrkay, that's good news, thank you!

Now I'd like to understand how that has happened in detail. I can't imagine the indent has a different function in PagePlus, does it? Also I assume you have set this quite high intend value intentionally (not by chance), as far I know there is no way to set it accidentally with a keyboard shortcut for instance. – What was your actual approach when you have set this indent?

Also I wonder that you made panel screenshots without having an object selected. – What could they tell this way?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

17 minutes ago, thomaso said:

as far I know there is no way to set it accidentally with a keyboard shortcut for instance.

No, not with a keyboard shortcut. However, if it's like other Affinity panels, it is probably quite easy to set it by accident if one has a mouse with a scroll wheel, and is attempting to scroll the panel. If, by mistake, you have the mouse cursor over the field, and use the scroll wheel, you adjust the field rather than scrolling the panel. And it is all too easy not to notice that when it happens.

I have no idea whether that's what happened to jrkay.

-- Walt
PC:

> If, by mistake, you have the mouse cursor over the field, and use the scroll wheel, you adjust the field rather than scrolling the panel.

Scrolling in the indent field from 0 up to 12,25 ? This would require a looooooong scrolling.
But thank you, I had forgotten this simplified option to alter a value. I always click-selected a field first. To scroll through the paragraph panel I need to have the cursor placed over the scroll bar (different to the pages panel for instance).

43 minutes ago, thomaso said:

To scroll through the paragraph panel I need to have the cursor placed over the scroll bar (different to the pages panel for instance).

I have a vague memory of them "fixing" some panel to avoid the issue I was describing, but I do not recall whether it was a general fix or something specific to a single panel. But I think I have still had the problem after that.

Lately I've only been using a laptop with a trackpad, not my desktop computer with the wheel-mouse, so I haven't tried it lately.

-- Walt
PC:

> I do not recall whether it was a general fix or something specific to a single panel.

In my current experience in both v183 and beta v687 in all panels the numerical value fields react on mouse wheel without having selected the field first. There seems to be only one single field which ignores the scroll wheel (and even if selected): The Color Opacity / Noise in the Colours Panel – while Color Opacity in the Swatches Panel does react.

I think I confused it with setting column width for a single text frame, which for my publication should be 4.427 inches.

It takes me some time to deal with the more meticulous needs of Publisher I'm afraid.

Thanks for your interest.

John

> I think I confused it with setting column width for a single text frame, which for my publication should be 4.427 inches.

The 4.427 are the text frame width AND are according to page margins.There seems to be no confusion. (In a 1-column frame the column width is simply the same)
I rather wonder about the indent of 12,25. They look like in purpose for another spot though I still can't imagine for which.
However, never mind. Maybe just distracted for a moment with 12.25 $ in mind for any reason ;)