You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working cover for book two. I have to write the book.

cover_book_two_possible_final.thumb.jpg.18f39dd2891e02916018588092e2e286.jpgI have a cover, now to dream up a book.  Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher.  Hand drawn in Affinity Designer, which I enjoy the most.1294217069_Gloriouscolorinwhiteaien.thumb.jpg.6e41694f7746db4918e066bc9186f83a.jpg

Close up of the most mysterious zyrenchar by doz 6 25 2020.jpg

White_head_glows_cover_morphing_high_res_to_place.jpg

doz creates squeeze humingbird.jpg

Thank is an excellent idea.  So my original idea was to follow suit in all books in my series.  Here is book one, https://www.artstation.com/marketplace/p/JX1K/the-pussycat-pilot-art-books-by-doz-i-begin-here  It is a first digital product book I have ever made and I thought I would keep the look and style and fonts.  But, the Title font could change, and I saved you excellent link you have forwarded, Benguiat Cinema (Franklin Gothic) may be a great choice, but I will explore.  That link is excellent, I need to wake up, this new paradigm has me in my own world more so than usual as an artist and tattoo artist, shop is closed for Covid -19 safety currently.  I will study the several pages in that fabulous link and get inspired, one of my favorite artist is Richard Powers, perhaps you are familiar with him.  Great advice, thank you.

The first book is in 16 x 9 format 20 pages, some autobiography, drawing lessons, discussions, fonts, and distortion art, and very colorful.   No takers yet, but it has many surprises and some serious Affinity designer artwork.  My ArtStation portal is here https://www.artstation.com/wildeyedartist  I work solely in Affinity Designer to draw and paint now studing and solving any issues of digital art with it.

Regards,
David Herman

Oh, I wasn’t aware, David, that you already had a book out there! So yes, consistency is surely a thing to consider. But in any case, since your style is so unique, I wondered if you could complement it with a font that’s a little more fancy and in style. 😀

And Ed Benguiat’s typefaces are indeed classics. House Industries have a lovely little collection of his lettering and poster designs. I imagine you could also draw some inspiration from the typefaces by Emigre. There are also quite a few nice and free sci-fi or retro fonts out there in the wild. Sure, you’ll have to invest some time to work through the results of your favorite search engine, but there are some little treasures to dig up, for sure. 😀

All the best, Alex

It was great advice, I realiy appreciate the link, and I am thinking about it all.  I usually don't get to it until later in the day, but will post when I edit, thanks again.
Okay, so how does this one appeal to your sci-fi senses? Using Affinity Fonts, to emulate the feel, Time Traveler is - Showcase Gothic, #2 is - Bauhaus 93, Puhlz is - also Showcard Gothic scaled to fit, and Book two is Forte...

cover_book_two_with_newest_entity_after_font_edit.jpg

Oh yes! That definitely does blend in much better! Plus: it’s also easier to read! 😀

As a final touch, maybe I’d do a little something on the “#2” group. You know, there’s the gradient on “The Time Traveler,” which gives that part of the design a certain kind of materiality that is absent from the “#2” group. But that surely depends how you would like to see this group. Maybe you intended it to look like a sticker that’s put on the cover. Then, I think, it’s fine. Yes … when I think of it, perhaps it’s actually great that way. That’s part of the style. And I must confess, I also love the OCR font. Will that be part of the final design? 😀

Hello,

Yes that would be a good idea.  I have been rebuilding the laptop, and it is done.  I acquired a new desktop and the whole last 2 weeks have been a huge mind expanding computer overwhelm.  I just transferred 200 GB of files so the new dedicated machine is just a workstation, no email, no word, no bloatware. all good now. Just relocated text of title, seems like an obvious thing I missed - trying to keep cover format like first digital product. But all this makes me realize the layout "items" can be the same, even in different locations.  Also I did so effect to have a spacetime feel to the "r" at end of Traveler.  In time it all falls into place, soon I start to write.  Who will buy a digital copy of first book and critique that?  Besides a brief history of myself - there are some strange musings in it. This is where the theme begins. Each book will be different and represent my growth - as a digital artist.  I must say patience is a primary objective.  Book one https://www.artstation.com/marketplace/p/JX1K/the-pussycat-pilot-art-books-by-doz-i-begin-here

cover book two lower text and spacetime letter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pondering other artwork I am creating as I jump around. This is in the development stage too,  We shall see what we shall see over time.
Watch 5 drawing videos here if you would like to see me actually create unedited, no fancy edits, just real drawing digitally in Affinity designer.  Thank you all.

slice15.jpg

Close up of right eye.jpg

slice11.jpg

eye to mouth detailing screen capture to export to half res 00x.jpg