You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

See screen shot. I have a background image on the spread. The printer advised to expand the image into the full Bleed so as not to risk some "white" unprinted edges when the bleed is trimmed off. Printer indicated a risk factor of about 1/16th of an inch.

In this case, the image Opacity is set to 30%, but it comes out 100% in the bleed.

I think this needs to be repaired - if the printer is off in the trimming, you would see the 30% image in the center of a page, but at the edge the risk is that you would see the image at 100%.

This becomes even more important for the cover since there may be a wraparound and you wouldn't want the image to suddenly change opacity as it wraps around the cover edge.

If opacity is not used, then the entire full bleed image is fine at 100%.

Fortunately, if you export to a PDF, this appears to be only a visual, cosmetic problem. That is, what you see in AFPUB is not what you get when you export. The exported spread does not show a 100% opacity in the bleed area - in my case it is the specified 30%. I do not know if the export to other formats would follow suit.

So, maybe not so critical, but it could cause confusion for users to see the difference in opacity in the bleed.  Second screen shot is a PDF export.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 1.16.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 1.33.56 PM.png

You are seeing the 30% image over the Grey Background of the outside of the page area. Make a grey rectangle and place it under the photo (with its 30% opacity), if the grey is the same as the non page area of the interface you will see the same thing.

1639442650_ScreenShot2020-07-07at3_03_39PM.png.e104de3116620ecf8936356b40264134.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I'd recommend placing a white rectangle which extends to cover bleed onto your master pages.

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

But do not place a white rectangle at the bottom of the layer stack as that would have effect on blend modes and also on objects with transparency.

I do place a white rectangle at the bottom of the layer stack which extends to the bleed area, which works perfect for me personally - no bleed worries - no unusual layer effect / blend mode problems - creates a perfect print ready PDFx file - it's the first thing I do if I know the job destination is a printing press - enabled me to move from Indesign to Designer (for the majority of jobs) in 2017

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

5 hours ago, Lagarto said:

I was just thinking about these kinds of problems:

I don't have those problems as I use a white base that covers the whole page and extends to bleed.

Whatever works for you boss

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Drawing a white box and placing it beneath everything seems strange to me. Should not need that if you are setting up your files correct. 

As for the OP question. You can change the backboard grey level in preferences. If you set it to white you do not have this effect. I keep my artboards as I generally keep images and things I do not need on the page at the moment out of the page. Having a darker background makes it more difficult to find what I want when I want it. That being said in Indesign when I want to just view the finished size document I simply hit "w" on my keyboard and everything outside the page size disappears and is replaced with a darker background. Maybe Publisher has this, I have not found it. Would certainly be a great feature.