You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer ruler, how do you scale and move?

I just ditched my PC and got a Mac, good move. I bought both Affinity Photo and Designer. Previously I used Corel Draw to make plan drawings. My question is how do you move the zero reference point of the ruler if you want to use the ruler to draw a line of a particular lenth? Also how do you change the scale of the ruler if you want to have, say, 5cm on paper represent 1 meter on the drawing?  Both these operations are quite strait forward in Corel Draw, and I can't imagine how you would make a dimensioned scaled drawing without this feature.  Thanks for any advice.

Hi, MSG,

I, too came from CorelDraw & Corel Photopaint.

I'm one of the users who requested the incorporation of the zero point feature.

I hope and trust MEB when he says it'll be coming soon, but in the mean time it's sorely missed.

Other than that, I've had hardly any major problems migrating to AFD and AFP,

and I think you'll find that the developers, moderators and users are doing their utmost to help everyone,

in a manner that's seldom seen in any software forum.

Always quick in answering the questions,  always to the point and always nice.

Hi MEB,  Thanks for your quick reply. I think your team is on to a winner with both Designer and Photo. I appreciate your efforts in customer support. Thanks for the great product.

One more little suggestion, if I may, have a look at the ruler devisions in the metric mode. Numeric display every 20mm with 5 major divisions in-between and minor devisions of 2mm is not conventional. Default grid lines every 4 mm are not very useful.  I suggest that if you display the numbers every 20mm, then you should have a major division every 10mm, a minor devision every 5 mm and fine devisions of 1mm.  Default grid lines should be 5 mm variable with zoom (1, 5, 10, 50, 100, etc).

Thanks for your consideration.

MSG

• 3 years later...

No architectural-ratio drawing scale in Designer?  I'm noticing that this conversation started back in 2015.
I'm new to Designer and have used Corel for years to draw a number of projects using scaling (Ex. 1/4 inch = 1 foot) to accomplish it in order to print it out on letter sized paper. 
Besides myself, but how does anyone use this application do any modeling for 3-D printing, sign making, plot drawings for land, etc, etc, - which are a snap to do in Corel?  Maybe I need to go back to Corel?

Am I missing where the feature it, or has Affinity really ignored an important market segment for the past 4 years?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2015 at 6:57 AM, MEB said:

Hello MSG,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Both features were already requested a couple times. I don't have details about a scale option at this time, but the ability to move the zero reference point is coming. Take a look a our roadmap for more info.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, 
I can understand that it is new software, but wondering how they could miss carrying over a feature from DrawPlus that serif had for years.
In the meantime, Designer isn't useful for producing scale drawings or modeling like CorelDraw is, so it looks like I am going to need to buy the new version of Corel and keep going on with my work.