You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[BUG] Lines do not have the correct length

In my preferences I have 6 decimal units set (for all units). Test document had 300 dpi.

1. Create a line of 350 px length (with or without arrowheads).

2. Power duplicate this line 5 times with 30° around the center.

3. Select all the lines.

Result: It must be expected, that the height AND the width of the selected elements have to be 350 px (even if you use Cycle Selection Box). But the selection is a bit higher. Now export to raster format like PNG only for selection and the things are getting worse. Now width is 532 px and height is 536 px!

If you open this exported PNG in an image editor you'll experience some "white space" around the image.

incorrect-lines.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Hi Joachim_L,

Thanks for letting us know - it is actually the arrow heads that are causing this. If you turn them off you should get a size that is closer to the actual strokes length. This is already with development so I shall pass on your comments.

Note that the export size (even without Arrows) may be slightly larger if you're using Round or End Caps on the stroke - this is to ensure the end of the stroke doesn't get cut off when you export.

10 minutes ago, Sean P said:

this is to ensure the end of the stroke doesn't get cut off when you export

Thanks for your answer, ... but 22 resp. 21 px are a lot of safety for a butt cap? And why do you have to ensure, that there is nothing cut off? Your application is the master of the data and has to know where what is?

It is just a simple expectation that - bug aside - if you export selected elements which have a specified and known size have exact the dimension after the export. Think of small web logos. After the export I have to open the files again in AP and cut them smaller.

And probably not (only) the arrowheads are to blame. See the screenshot, both lines are 1450 px long, but the dimensions are varying in the export dialogue. Not much, but they vary. Sorry for insisting, but maybe I misunderstood your answer and everything is already known to the developers.

line-length.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed