You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BUG: Fonts with multi-character compositions are not properly subset when exporting to PDF

This is on:

• Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.4.663
  • macOS 10.15.5
  • 2019 16" Macbook Pro.

See the two attachments.

When exporting a PDF, fonts which use multi-character compositions are not properly subset. These are fonts which require two or more characters to be entered to type a single glyph.

In the two attached PDFs, the font in question is Caeciliae, which is a Gregorian chant notation font. Most of the glyphs in this font require multi-character composition. Since I have the font installed on my system, the issue is not evident until I try to embed these PDFs into another Affinity document. See the screenshots which demonstrate the issue as I am seeing it.

Placed PDF with font subsetting.png

Place PDF with no font subsetting.png

PN-English-No Subset Fonts.pdf PN-English-Subset fonts.pdf

By the way, this file demonstrates that Publisher follows the OpenType specification really well. As well as InDesign. The Caeciliae font is generally not usable on most word processors because they don't follow the metrics accurately enough, or cannot handle multi-character glyphs. I used to create these chant pieces in InDesign, and had zero issues doing it in Publisher (other than the export issue, that is).

Both PDFs display accurately for me in Preview.

Interestingly: the "Embedded, but not subset" version imports accurately back into Publisher Beta, (for the fonts that I have installed); whereas the 'embedded but subset' version gives the usual terrible results.

1 hour ago, benwiggy said:

Interestingly: the "Embedded, but not subset" version imports accurately back into Publisher Beta, (for the fonts that I have installed); whereas the 'embedded but subset' version gives the usual terrible results.

That has been reported before. If your file uses ligatures, and you want to export from Affinity as a PDF, and you want to bring the PDF back into Affinity, you cannot subset the embedded fonts. If you subset them, the ligatures won't work properly when you open the PDF in Affinity.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hey @mwdiers,

I don't know what PDF viewer you use, but I believe that's your issue. Adobe Acrobat shows no difference between your pdfs. 

Interesting. That's actually a relief, as I have distributed a few of these supposedly bad files to people already.

Those screenshots came from Publisher after placing both PDFs into a new Publisher document. So Publisher is technically the PDF viewer.

So, as Walt pointed out, I guess the issue is with importing PDFs with subset fonts and ligatures, NOT with the creation of the PDFs in the first place.

As this is a known bug, I trust it will be addressed in due time.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

That has been reported before.  If you subset them, the ligatures won't work properly when you open the PDF in Affinity.

It's long been said that Affinity can't handle embedded fonts: but I didn't realise that non-subsetting would improve matters. Sadly, not every app can provided PS/PDF in that spec.

1 minute ago, mwdiers said:

It's been due for some time!

7 minutes ago, mwdiers said:

Note that I did not say it's a bug. It might be, of course, and Gabe can probably verify whether it's logged as a bug, or if it's just a behavior users need to accomodate.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It is understandable that embedded fonts will always be a problem in a placed PDF, since the only practical option with a placed PDF is to render all fonts as curves. And that, of course, will thicken the font strokes, as hinting does not translate to beziers.

No: the current implementation is beyond understanding: InDesign, Word, Pages, VivaDesigner, Scribus, Quark XPress can place a PDF with embedded fonts on a page, with 100% accuracy and 0 issues. Illustrator and any number of vector apps can open a PDF and edit the glyphs -- outlining only where necessary, but doing so accurately. Photoshop et al can raster a PDF containing subsetted fonts accurately.

Affinity's behaviour is not something that users need to accommodate. I'm on a forum for music notation software with a whole bunch of people saying "let me know when Affinity can import a PDF properly." At the moment, I can't recommend it to them. This is something Affinity needs to accommodate for its users.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.