You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone.

By default, in Affinity Photo, to change the brush size, we need to press Alt + RMB and then LMB.

In my opinion this is very difficult, especially those who work recently.

Is it possible to change to a simple combination, for example to Ctrl + LMB?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You can use the “[“ and “]” keys to resize the brush instead.

As discussed elsewhere, not all non-English keyboards include keys for those characters.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred: Thanks for pointing that out. I didn’t know that, or don’t remember knowing it.

Dmi3ryd: The shortcut you suggested includes using the keyboard.
If you have the spare cash and want to go ‘keyboard-free’ (up to a point) you could buy a mouse with multi-function buttons and program two of them to mimic the “[“ and “]” keys.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I don't want to open a new topic for this. I just noticed that a new Photo Beta for Windows was released and in the changelog it says that the brush parameter change is Ctrl+Alt and in the mouse we need to keep pressed left and right button... you are using 40% of your fingers just to change interactively the brush size and hardness, not good at all.

I'm so sorry but this is far for comfortable and ergonomic, specially for people that suffers of the carpal tunnel were you keep pressure not in one but in two fingers. I hope this wouldn't be hardcoded and let the users customize the key binding as pleased.

I hope the developers read this and re-think about this decision. I would love to remap it to Ctrl+RMB for example.

My two cents.
Juan

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon dear developers.

Your team changed the hot keys combination to Ctrl + Alt at new 1.8.4v.
I would like to clarify with you (if possible) what goals do you set yourself when you propose the following solution?
For me, this decision is somewhat strange primarily because for many users it will be difficult to change your pipeline.
I.e. the user has been working for many years and uses one combination of keys and then the developers change to a new one and he has to get used to it.
This is not convenient for everyone.

I believe that the best solution for everyone, add the ability to personally select and configure hotkeys. This will be a big plus and will draw even more attention to the product with its flexibility.

I am a former Photoshop user and I would really like to change the size of the brush using Ctrl + LMB.

Thank you very much!
Have a nice day!

6 hours ago, Dmi3ryd said:

I would like to clarify with you (if possible) what goals do you set yourself when you propose the following solution?

I'm just a user, but I think they were attempting a simple solution to the problem that you noted above where Affinity users on Windows had to use Alt and LMB and RMB, which was difficult for many users, and impossible for some of us with trackpads that don't allow both buttons to be pressed at the same time.

While it would be nice to allow more flexibility and customization of that shortcut, that is a more complex enhancement than they are likely to do in a minor release. At least, now, there is a shortcut that is physically possible for us, even if it's not the shortcut we might all prefer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:26 AM, jc4d said:

nd in the changelog it says that the brush parameter change is Ctrl+Alt and in the mouse we need to keep pressed left and right button... you are using 40% of your fingers just to change interactively the brush size and hardness, not good at all.

It was previously Alt + LMB + RMB. Now it is Ctrl + Alt + LMB. The RMB is no longer needed, which avoids the issues associated with pressing both mouse buttons.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Using LMB for resizing the brush constantly makes the Assistant rasterize layers, or I accidentally paint when I don't want to.

Please add a remap option so users can choose. Nothing about the dragging modifier needs to change, just a matter of changing the keys required to activate the modifier.

Just a simple option like this would be great:

image.png.76b6c63e836a8057950d41f73ff28245.png