You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing a TIF file, from Photoshop 2020 export layers as files

When I open a file created to Photoshop 2020 'export layers to files psd or tiff format, I do not see the correct image  in Designer or Photo (version 1.8.3.641), yet if I open the same file in DXO Photo I see the correct results.
Also, if I drag a number of pdf files as layers I do not see anything, but if I open the file individually I see the 'correct' image.

affinityTifImport.thumb.PNG.a7319de46b686d3a8c388fe3d4ab3190.PNG

_0004_red tie.pdf 0003_pink tie.pdf

Hi,

I tried uploading last night but it stayed 'queued', so I'm trying again.

What I am trying to do is convert them into vectors from photoshop 2020, so that they can be resized for different media.

I thought that it was time to give the Affinity software that I own a try.

Thanks.

-W

0004_red_tie.tif 0003_pink_tie.tif test.ai 0005_white shirts.pdf 0005_white_shirts.tif

• Staff

Hi Biggles007,
Thanks for the files.
As suspected both 0004_red_tie.tif and 0003_pink_tie.tif files have an alpha channel active/enabled when you open them in Affinity Photo (Photoshop keeps them disabled so you see the ties there). To see the ties in Affinity Photo go to the Channels panel, right-click the Background Alpha channel there and select Fill. If you wish to keep that alpha channel for later, before executing the Fill command, right click on the Background Alpha channel and select Create Spare Channel. These TIFF files do have more alpha channels but currently Affinity Photo only imports the first one. Issue logged to be looked at.
The files also include two (vector) paths (Paths panel in Photoshop) which currently we do not import/support.

test.ai file doesn't include a PDF stream which is the only data we are able to read/import (Ai files must be saved with Create PDF Compatible File checked for it to be included).

0005_white_shirts.tif only have alpha channels (but no other data) which we only import the first one as explained above and also the two mentioned vector paths which currently we do not import/support.

If you want to convert/manipulate the various alpha channels present in the tiff files (and paths) it's better to use Photoshop for this.