You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Freezing -- Affinity photo / On1

Win10 PC
Freezing comes up a lot in search :( . I have reported this problem before while working from Lr5
Now trying to work from On1 2020 but still get consistent freezing of the image that sometimes requires a forced shutdown and restart
Hoping to abandon Lightroom even though often wish I had stayed with Adobe --- would have been less expense in time/dollars/frustrations 
The best thing is I can usually save work first before turn off :)
As before; I cannot notice any uniformity that my cause the freezing 
AP will often freeze up if left idle  for a few hours or overnight .
Using mostly Olympus ORF >tiff . I guess I can try ORF >psd :( to see what happens .

Comments and questions welcome from other uses 
Honestly my friends; this is really starting to P me off even though I am in not rush to do anything .
Cheers :)

Photo: On1 + AP is a nice mix IMO

Pysche 0407 027 ort On1Bw.jpg

• Staff

Hi @ianrb,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here.

Firstly, I'd like to try and narrow down the cause of this issue, can you please confirm for me:

• Are you opening files from ON1 into Affinity as an 'external editor'?
  • Does this happen with every file, only certain ones?
  • When does the freezing begin? Are you following a specific workflow that causes this?
  • Does the app every crash (and close itself) or do you always 'force close' the app? This changes whether a crash report is generated or not.
  • If you open your image directly in Affinity (skipping the ON1 step), does the same freezing still occur?
  • What are your settings within Preferences>Performance? A screenshot of this dialog would help.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Are you opening files from ON1 into Affinity as an 'external editor'? ---- Yes
Does this happen with every file, only certain ones?

When does the freezing begin? Are you following a specific workflow that causes this?  ---

• Are you opening files from ON1 into Affinity as an 'external editor'?  --- Yes and has happened from Lr5
  • Does this happen with every file, only certain ones? --- Can happen with any file at any time from opening to during editing
  • When does the freezing begin? Are you following a specific workflow that causes this? ---- Doesn't seem to be any one thing that might cause it 
  • Does the app every crash (and close itself) or do you always 'force close' the app? This changes whether a crash report is generated or not. --- Ap does not crash. Most times I can save >close photo> reopen via "open recent" while others times a computer force close is required
  • If you open your image directly in Affinity (skipping the ON1 step), does the same freezing still occur?  --- Again; does not seem to make any difference . I do (sometimes now) export from On1 to an ''edit folder'' >open from Ap or open from On1 "send to" . From memory, I have had a freeze when opening via Win10 while "testing" .

Hope that helps Dan -- was thinking yesterday there had not been a freeze up for awhile .
    It's all very much like the rattle in car that never rattles when you are paying a mechanic to fix it  

Ap prefences.jpg

Sorry; meant to add no need to apologize Dan and thanks for the reply
Certainly annoying at times but covid is more likely to kill me before Ap annoyance 🤣
Just for interest -- have been off Ap for several hours but it has not frozen  ---- couple of weeks ago it would likely have been frozen solid