You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm progressing slowly through the workbook and have got as far as the 'mother of millions' project, 'removing Halos' on page 255.

Now I'm not familiar with this sort of stuff, I don't know what a halo is or what it should look like, and even with my best specs on, can't see any difference between the images on p255 and 256, which i presume are meant to be before and after pictures.

Can anybody give me some pointers at to what I'm meant to be seeing here, please ?

I don’t have the workbook but halo’s can occur when merging multiple images together, such as focus merging.

here is a post on such a matter: 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

A halo is a bright area just outside of an edge, typically on the lighter side of the edge. They are usually seen as an artefact of ocer-sharpening, but can also arise as an artefact of focus stacking. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Look at the water drops...you should see a little pink glow on the left side or halos/artifacts around edges.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

This is from a stack I created. The Blue arrows point to artefacts that are from the far focus picture (background) that show beside the short focus picture of the gras seeds. If the individual pictures are closer together in their focus, the artefacts and the sharp image overlap. This creates a halo around the sharp objects.

4C9D4ACC-6695-4D59-B721-79E0696AA0C8.jpeg.2b09db6da32cd13f17e3ca4d91d8d6ed.jpeg