You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo as Drawing Software - Forest Pool

nmurray

It was a nice surprise to find the art brushes in Affinity Photo.  Here is a painting based on a couple of photos I took in Maine.  The work took about 3-4 hours.

The program could be better at painting with a couple of simple additions:

1    A good blender brush. Smudge and Blur aren't that useful for this.

2    A simple and easy way to change brush size without having to go to the slider

-  shortcut keys

-  control click and then drag to set size

post-16620-0-34012200-1439110469_thumb.jpg

Nice work! Regarding your suggestions:

1. Have you tried the Paint Mixer Brush?

post-1105-0-29821000-1439129992_thumb.png

2. The bracket keys ( [  and ] )control the size of the bush; holding down Option + Control  and dragging left/right and up/down lets you adjust the size and hardness of the brush.

Cheers

It was a nice surprise to find the art brushes in Affinity Photo.  Here is a painting based on a couple of photos I took in Maine.  The work took about 3-4 hours.

The program could be better at painting with a couple of simple additions:

1    A good blender brush. Smudge and Blur aren't that useful for this.

2    A simple and easy way to change brush size without having to go to the slider

-  shortcut keys

-  control click and then drag to set size

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I didn't know about the size adjustments.  Fantastic.

The paint mixer brush is interesting but I'm not sure exactly how I would use it.  For blending I would be looking for something similar to what Painter or ArtRage has, which gives you a gradual transition from one color to another along the boundary.  The Paint Mixer Brush seems like it would be useful to get an intermediate color that you could use between the other two but it still seems a little difficult to use for blending.

Many of the interviews I've seen with illustrators suggest that the common Photoshop way of doing it has been to use lower transparency once the main color areas are down, and then constantly resample color under the pen (with a shortcut key I would assume) and build up a smooth transition that way.  That is a lot of work.

Thanks for the response and information.

To blend colours as you're describing I can suggest you to use the blend mode "Average" for your tools

All tools included in the Gouache set and some of the Bristles set use this setting.

Gouache set tools use wet-edges too, which modulates opacity combining it with flow.

It's a bit hard to handle as technique but results are outstanding, take a look at this piece of art made by notpill

post-6645-0-94288200-1424201044.jpg

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/5612-digital-painting-with-affinity-photo/

Obviously the resample thing works in AP/AD too, just hit Alt (Option) key to sample a colour.

Btw... A cat-bird told me that an Opacity Jitter is coming too... :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• 4 weeks later...

It is an excellent result. you have got, mmurray....I love it. And even having some blending problems!!!!

I find the the tips you have got are utomost interesting, I am mostly painting with Procreate tools in. my Ipad, with a fantastic blnding brushes you can use, but I am thrillled to follow these tips and see what happens.

Paolo....how is exactly working the Average blending mode? I am curioius.

Thanks to all.

Rosa

Hi Rosa!

Average blending mode does a simple stupid thing, but it is brilliant.

It's the first time I see such a feature in raster software and I think only AP/AD has it.

It makes your stroke to blend to a mean hue, for the overlapping area.

Using it combined with the Alt+Click technique helps you to blend colours smoothly (the green-yellow mess in the picture below).

It remembers me the way gouaches act on paper.

blendingModeAverage.png

Here I don't have a tablet available, so I can't use the Flow Jitter which helps to make transitions even smoother.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers