cocycle

Applying an ICC profile when Developing a RAW image

Using X-rite's ColorChecker, an ICC profile can be generated for a set of raw images shot under the same lighting conditions. In Affinity Photo's Develop persona, I cannot find anywhere to apply an ICC profile. Have I missed something? Or is it necessary to first "develop" the raw image then apply an ICC profile in another persona? And if the latter, presumably it is better to use the Assistant Manager to set the output format as 32-bit rather than 16-bit?

Thanks. Other programs (Lightroom, Capture One) allow you to apply an ICC profile to a raw image, which (in theory at least) leads to a better result. Having to develop/export a raw image, and only then apply colour correction, will reduce the quality...

Not too well informed on ICC Profiles, but I always thought that a RAW did not have an embedded color profile, it just contained information on the color profile set in the camera at time of capture.

Perhaps wiser heads could advise on this.

24 minutes ago, Gshooter said:

I always thought that a RAW did not have an embedded color profile, it just contained information on the color profile set in the camera at time of capture.

RAW images do not have a color profile. If the camera lets you specify a profile, that would apply to any JPG or other non-RAW format the camera can create. So you're right about that.

However, just as you can profile a monitor, or a printer, and get better color accuracy from images, you can profile a camera. If Photo could apply such a profile during RAW development, you could then account for your camera's unique color idiosyncracies while the image is still in RAW format. That could give you better color results specifically for your camera. But Photo does not support that.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.820 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.820 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.822 Beta.

The workflow is to take at the start a photo that includes an X-rite ColorChecker. Based on that image, a separate program then produces an ICC profile that can be used in Lightroom or Capture One to process other raw images from the same shoot. From Walt's reply, it looks like this is not possible in Affinity Photo, thus answering my question. Thank you both for your kind help.

Hello - sorry to be sort of late to this conversation, but I am too am trying to figure out the best way to apply ICC profiles. I am calibration a completely new system, camera through laptop running Affinity Photo - Publisher - printing to an HP Envy 7100 series. I have created profiles for the camera and the printer. The question is when and where to apply them. Profiles can be assigned prior to Development under profiles (both camera and printer profiles are in the list. Output profile is specified by the software. Which to select, camera or printer?) The after development, a profile can be assigned under "Document". The profile selected prior to development will appear here, but can be changed. Then when printing, an output profile can be assigned, printer for sure, one suspects. I have some results that are very, very good; but others (different lens and shooting conditions) are rendered too dark and too blue. What should be the standard procedure? Camera profiles for different conditions and lenses can be created, but where they are applied changes results. Any suggestions?